X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

What are the counts for the rifle length barrels maybe throw up an xx/50 count in the first line of each thread
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
      What are the counts for the rifle length barrels maybe throw up an xx/50 count in the first line of each thread
      at least 4.... on 46 more to go.

4 is based on BFT saying 2 paid then 2 more people saying checks were sent.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by lesbaer45 View Post
        Sigh. Already have a 20BHW I have yet to build.

Decisions, decisions.

Maybe if I get a job soon.
        Yeah no kidding huh!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
          comon people i got a POS barrel i need replaced with this one. maybe then i can find a repeatable group. buy yourself a present you deserve it!
          Kinda curious what brand/make of bummer you got? I've wrenched on AR's for a few years now. But I'm finally building my first ones from scratch. my hardest decision so far is how many of the seven are going to be Grendel's. I'm thinking 2 shorts and 2 longs. Maybe get another 18" for 5.56 so I'll have two of those as well. Maybe a .300 bo. And perhaps a .22? Idk Im in no hurry, just want to keep collecting quality parts so far. And want to know what to avoid. More curious than anything.

If this pace keeps up you can count me in for two it may be a while till I can send payment I'm trying to get two of the 12's before they are gone. But I can settle for one of those I REALLY want two of these for longer distances...I'm not a .308 fan. And have to much of everything else need to be selective on what additional calibers I get into. Just discovered 6.5/.264lbc about a month ago and REALLY digging everything I'm seeing/reading about it. Caliber of the future. Hopefully the services adopt it...they should...

Hey BFT any chances you have any specs or dimensions of the 5r rifling? Is it obermeyer? I have one of the BHW .223 wylde match barrels and wasn't impressed at all with the size of the lands...they are about .02" wide if my eyes were older I'd say it was a smoothbore. Not sure if I'm keeping it yet still testing. TIA!

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by IceAxe View Post
            I couldn't find a link but here is a picture I downloaded a while back. Either way I am in for a barrel.

BTW I used a Sinusoidal bolt on my 450 Bushmaster build and am glad I did. They have a lot of strength without so many stress risers.
            Dude that's seriously cool! One of my biggest worries about Grendel's is their deep bolt face recess weakens the bolt. This would counteract that ALOT! plus I just hate sharp corners.. I worked at Boeing and sharp corners are a no no! The stresses are always worst at the corners. Round is good! It's also what makes diamonds so strong is its hexagonal carbon molecular structure which is more rounded and uniform than others.
            Anyway I would REALLY like one of these. If they made them in S7 tool steel it would REALLY be super strong. If someone made a high quality barrel extension with the opposing lugs cut into it I'm sure several lives could depend on it for several generations without breaking. A brief search online for extension I found most if not all were just made out of basic steels so having a S7 bolt isn't really beneficial but if someone made it I'd definitely want one. I don't need the best of the best, just the best for the best price

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

no he the brand. I bought the upper complete and it's been problem after problem and I'm done. redoing it myself so I know it'll work

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Gentlemen, as of this writing we stand at 4 paid participants of 12 verbal commitments.

Updates will be in my first post of this thread.

Seriously thinking of going melonited stainless on this. Thoughts?
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Slappy
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2014

I thought they were stainless already?? Melonite or QPQ either one is a good idea as far as I am concered?? BANG BANG!! Just been lazy about sending you a check, it will get there J. Thanks Ken Merry Christmas up there in the wintery country!!

FYI you do have Melonite in the 1st paragraph and below you have QPQ.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Melonite is generic like facial tissue and QPQ, I believe, is a specific tradename like Kleenex. So melonite and QPQ are the same thing.

Merry Christmas to you, too! A lot of barrel buyers a laying low for the Christmas season, so I look forward to these buys picking up in the new year. Or, hey, stuff a gun barrel in each of the kids' stockings hung by the chimney with care, and include one for the wife!
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      Gentlemen, as of this writing we stand at 4 paid participants of 12 verbal commitments.

What are the perks over QPQ 4150?

I have never shopped for an SS barrel before. Pricing stay the same?

Comment

• Slappy
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2014

Quench polish quench (QPQ) is a specialized type of nitrocarburizing case hardening that increases corrosion resistance. It is sometimes known by the brand name of Tufftride, Tenifer or Melonite.[1] Three steps are involved: nitrocarburize ("quench"), polish, and post-oxidize ("quench").[

So ya do that!! in stainless BANG BANG!!

Comment

• IceAxe
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post

Melonite is great by me, should enhance the durability.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                            What are the perks over QPQ 4150? Pricing stay the same?
                            Stainless typically costs about $10 more per barrel, but for the sake of these group buys price would stay the same.

Theoretically, stainless is easier to machine, thus allowing more precise machining, thus allowing more precise tolerances in all barrel dimensions, thus allowing better accuracy, insofar as accuracy is a function of a more precisely machined barrel. Whew! I believe that's about it.

Generally, stainless isn't as durable as CMV, but the beauty of meloniting stainless is that it brings the durability back up, while retaining its precision.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
                              Quench polish quench (QPQ) is a specialized type of nitrocarburizing case hardening . . .
                              Dang, Slappy, now THERE is a prime example of what we call "schooling" somebody! I stand corrected.

Comment

• Slappy
                                Warrior
                                • Feb 2014

Either one, it seems to work. And since the 20 inch is when it starts to shine (from what I read and my opinion only) My 18 and sixteen both shoot lights out and my ole 24 really was the bomb. Remembering it all started with a 20 inch barrel back in the day.? I vote for stainless and some type of coating.

On a side note if I remember correctly either process does not like the Frog lube for those that use that stuff. BANG BANG!!
                                Last edited by Slappy; 12-17-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X