X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Now that I think of it, Faxon did send 3 extras. I bet they purposely did not have the logo, and it's my fault for not thinking to check before I boxed them up and shipped them out.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 82HALO
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Thanks for the offer john! I am good with this barrel though it is really an awesome looking barrel and I'm happy with it!

Comment

• 1trusted1
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        SAAMI says maximum dimension near the base for Grendel case is 0.4410".
        SAAMI says minimum chamber near the base is 0.4426".

If your brass measures 0.4442" it will not fit in the minimum chamber.

Your dies are not full length sizing to the proper width.
        The SAAMI diagram details the rearmost 0.200 of the chamber as 0.4451 which should allow the fire formed brass to chamber since the 0.4442 diameter measured on the case is within the last 0.200 area of the chamber.

The fire formed brass also fits properly into my LE Wilson 6.5 Grendel case gauge without any resistance.

I tried a second full length sizing die but the result was the same.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I downloaded this a few years ago.

That is where they show the chamber and case dimensions I mentioned.

According to that your resized brass would not fit into the smallest SAAMI chamber. (0.4426"chamber<0.4442"brass).

I just did something:

I set my micrometer to 0.4410" and passed a fired Hornady 123 AMAX case through. It did not fit near the base.

I then lubed the case and passed it through my cheap LEE sizing die set out 1/2 turn to partial resize.

The case then barely slid through the micrometer so the width near the base was within SAAMI specs even though partial resized.

Get a good full length resizing die if you want to full length resize. I have never been disappointed with LEE dies. Let the lashing begin.

Comment

• RNRoad
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Mine definitely has a tight chamber as well. My Manson GO gauge would barely allow the Group Buy bolt to engage the lugs on the barrel extension. Factory ammo and my reloads sized to max SAAMI length using a Redding S die chambered with no problem however.

I fired 10 rounds each of both types of ammo and all failed to eject. Manual extraction required extra effort but at least I didn't have to "mortar" each fired case. I was trying to set my adjustable gas block (used Syrac Gen 1) and never could find a setting that would eject a spent case. Once home I noticed some problems with the adjustment screw and tensioning detent spring so I disassembled and cleaned the block. Everything looks good now and it is set for max flow to the gas tube.

The barrel will get a good chamber scrubbing and I should be able to get out next week to try it again.

Velocity over the Magnetospeed were as follows;

Hornady 123 ELD-M ... AVG = 2508 fps...STDEV = 19.6 fps

Reloads 123 ELD-M with 31.2 CFE223 seated to 2.260...AVG = 2546 ...STDEV = 11.6 fps

I was only shooting at 50 yards with reasonable care on the bench primarily to check for function. Groups were about about a half inch for both factory and reloaded ammo.
            Last edited by RNRoad; 10-05-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• 1trusted1
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2017

RNR, Thanks for your update.

I realize there are a lot of variables involved with different manufacturers but it would seem that having a specification like SAAMI would maximize interchangeability.

Maybe a seasoned shooter can answer this "is the purpose of a case gauge to check just length or also the entire case for diameters at shoulder, neck & base as well as the length?"

If a cartridge fits in a quality case gauge should it then fit in the chamber of the same caliber?

There is a short indoor range close to me that allows CFR so I may pack up some factory Wolf and hand loads with new and once fired Hornady brass.

I will give the chamber a good scrubbing first.

I won't be able to chronograph but can check function with these other cases to see if they have ejection issues.

The last of the fire formed brass that chambered required a 2x4 on the side charging handle to eject.

Not the first outing I had imagined...

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Test fired mine today... brass is scored quite noticeably. First round I played hell getting it out... the other four were no problem.

As soon as I get the scope we will see what it will do.

ETA- this was AFTER a really good scrubbing/cleaning job.

Comment

• 1trusted1
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 1trusted1 View Post
                  If a cartridge fits in a quality case gauge should it then fit in the chamber of the same caliber?
                  The answer from LE Wilson support was "No, the purpose of the case gauge is overall length and shoulder depth/position but not with respect to the diameters."

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I had a BCA barrel that left circular ridges on the brass. I posted it here in a thread "My Striped Grendel".

BCA replaced the barrel. The striped one I sent back shot a 0.902MOA group. The new one is too early to tell but so far shoots groups like a shotgun. Shoot.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

Were these barrels ever stated to have any kind of accuracy guarantee? Just wondering in case mine does not shoot well.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

BH6, these do not have an accuracy guarantee.
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                          BH6, these do not have an accuracy guarantee.
                          Wonderful...

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                            Meloniting will not reduce chamber size as it is a treatment not a coating like chrome lining. But it can make it rather difficult to smooth out as it hardens the exterior finish.
                            Rockwell hardness (my ignorant non-metallurgist googlefoo):
                            Nitrided 416 SS = 65-70HRC
                            Naked 416 SS = ~40HRC
                            Naked 4150 CMV = ~50HRC
                            Hard chrome = 70-75HRC
                            File = 60HRC
                            Hammer = 30HRC

The naked 416 & 4150 HRC values are EXTREMELY dependent on the austenitize/quench/temper process variables of the raw steel.

On a related note, a couple 5 shot groups (after function check & chasing 0) got me 1 flyer per (on me) and 4 inside MOA @ 100yds, factory ELD-M on a bench w/ a bipod at Avery this morning - then it got too hot... The 20" appears to be a shooter for $883 + glass, Buttercup is happy happy! TY BFT!!! Good to go for socio-fascist zombies :-|
                            Last edited by AZHTfreak; 10-06-2017, 06:03 AM. Reason: add more detail
                            DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• rommeld
                              Unwashed
                              • Aug 2016

Has anyone weighed there barrel? Wondering what the weight came out to?

Comment

• paulw
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2017

Mine's 2# 4.9 oz.....

Comment

Working...
                                X