• Log
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

I'm in. I'll be sending PP shortly.

Comment

• irickchad
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2016

I am in, paid, and looking forward to building my first AR, and first Grendel, did a lot of caliber research before going with the 6.5, and this GB had perfect timing.

It'll be a big step up from my factory Springfield Saint.

This is also my first post, Hello Grendel Horde.

Comment

• stellar
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2016

Precision Firearms has 6.5G Phalanx bolts in stock right now. (Without BC or NiB coating)

The site says 1 week lead time but I received mine in 24 hours with UPS Ground.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Hey, guys, finally getting around to laying out the "surprise" I mentioned earlier. Been dreaming of doing this and finally made it happen. These barrels will feature a new reduced-size rifling profile that is long overdue in the hide-bound shooting industry.

Consider that each rifling land in a .223 barrel is 0.0025 tall, and each rifling land in a .243 barrel is 0.003 tall. After that, industry standards specify 0.0035 lands for .250, .270, and .280 barrels. Both .308 and the mighty .338 share lands 0.004 tall.

Now, what do you suppose the industry specifies for .264 barrels? Obviously, since it falls between the .250 and .270 it shares their 0.0035 land-height, right? Surely, this amazingly efficient caliber wouldn't share the same 0.004 lands with the monstrous .338, would it? Oh, yes, it would! The firearms industry traditionally specifies lands 0.004 high for .264 barrels. This makes zero sense. Are 6.5mm bullets driven any harder than .25-06 bullets? Do 6.5mm bullets need rifling more aggressive than .270 Winchester bullets? No, my friends, no. This is madness.

Consider the mild-mannered 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Yes, a thing of ballistic beauty, of martial magnificence. If the 6.5 Grendel, launching bullets at moderate velocities at pressures of 50,000 psi, supposedly "needs" lands as aggressive as the .338 at 62,000 psi, then how is it the 5.56 with 0.0025 lands and the .243 Winchester with 0.003 lands — both blasting bullets at high velocities and pressures around 58,000 psi — manage to thrive?

Verily, Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of The Horde, these Faxon group buy barrels will pioneer 5R-EE (Easy Engraving) rifling with lands 0.003 tall.

Easy Engraving, with its reduced lands, minimizes the bullet jacket deformation of more aggressive lands, leading to more-pristine bullets making their way downrange. This is a good thing. Rifling is a necessary evil — technically, a bore obstruction. Ideally, our barrels would be smoothbores, launching slippery bullets in brand-new condition.

Additionally, Easy Engraving opens up new opportunities to the handloader, who can take advantage of the reduced friction required to engrave bullets into the rifling, experimenting with the powder burn-rate/pressure dynamic in the quest for more velocity within safe pressures. This could get interesting!

Easy Engraving is now here. Finally. Exclusively for The Horde. Let the 6.5mm world sit up and take notice.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• jim_bob
            Warrior
            • Jul 2014

Excellent!

Comment

• jurassic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Great explanation of something I never even knew about with regards to rifle barrels, thanks!

Comment

• explorecaves
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                LaRue has either an 11.0 or a 10.0.

Midwest Industries has a 10.5.
                Gibbz Arms has a 10.25" and 11.375" option... I bought the 11.375" lite version. Worst case I will have to grind/cut off about 1/4 inch at the end of the taper to get enough room for my Rugged Surge I should be getting by the end of the year.

Comment

• Keystone
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2016

I went with the TBAC flash hider (which pushes the mounting surface out to the end of the threaded portion of the barrel) and the 2A BL-Rail which has an actual length of 11.87". Definitely cutting it close (won't know how close until the barrel is here) but I've other uses for the handguard if it's too tight.

Updated drawings with lengths in addition to the widths would make this a bunch easier to figure out.

Comment

• CYB29
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2016

Plan on using a 9.5 Geissele mk4.

Comment

• 4pocalypse
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by CYB29 View Post
                      Me too most likely. I have a 9.5" MK4 on my 12" (larue) barreled SBR and it works out pretty well. SLR has some rails in lengths that will work as well if you want something a little longer.

Comment

• daggertt
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2016

I have a Parallax Tactical 11.5" rail from a previous build that will fit perfectly. I had it on a 12.0" 300blk and with the SiCo specwar FH, my Omega cleared the rail by MAYBE 1/10". I've sold the 300blk, so now that's how this 6.5 SBR upper will be set up.

Comment

• Alaskaammo
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2016

Dropping an order/payment in the mail for 3 barrels today

Comment

• Josh
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by CYB29 View Post
                            Same. Using a 1.5" OTB mount from Diversified Machine and a Form 1 Silencer.

Comment

• jim_bob
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2014

I got a 9.5" mk8 for mine, thinking about getting it chopped to 10.5 too.

Comment

• teammo
                                Unwashed
                                • Dec 2016

Anyone know of any vendors having Christmas sales? I still need a bolt.

Comment

Working...
                                X