X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Torquaholic
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

I wonder if mine will show up today, or if it will take another day to process through Houston? I'm excited to see how it fits in the Faxon upper.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Upon first assembly for the shake-down cruise, this 18" upper is 3+ oz lighter than the 18" I hope to replace it with (4 lb-10 vs 4 lb-13).. But the balance and heft of it is much better. The one going to second-string has a somewhat bulky-looking MB on the end. Plus, I think BFT's barrel-shape design contributes to its better feel in hand. The "other" 18-er also has a rifle length gas system so I'm hoping the talk on here about mid-length being better will lead to, well, better shooting.
      I'm going to try for some break-in rounds tonight.
      Then final QC and lock down GB and barrel with a bit of loktite.....

Overall, looking real good!!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Ekalb2000
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2016

Got mine this morning. Great looking barrel BFT.
        Your profiles feel more balanced. Thanks again for doing this.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Now it's Christmas.

My barrel and bolt arrived today and I've just finished the build!

With an extra-heavy carrier, ffp scope and piston kit, she's heavy, but well balanced. Love it.

ARbeauty (Small).jpg

ARbalance (Small).jpg

ARweight (Small).jpg

PS: I must get you to wrap my Christmas presents next year, BFT. Well done!
          "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
          -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

Funny that sub 9lbs is considered heavy these days lol. Still want to build me a sub 5lbs rifle. Will give it a little time too see what else comes to market for something like this. But looks like I can use a 2A Arms balios lite and will most likely do a proof carbon fiber barrel. Dunno caliber though, like to expand on what I have of 223 Wylde, 556, 300blk, and Grendel in this size ar. To be compared even my Remington 700 is considered a lighter build for a 1k rifle at 12lbs! Hell most hunting rifles are above 9lbs without optics. So you are doing ok. Mine came out right around 8lbs with using mostly spare parts.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by AppalachianGunSlinger View Post
              Funny that sub 9lbs is considered heavy these days lol. Still want to build me a sub 5lbs rifle. Will give it a little time too see what else comes to market for something like this. But looks like I can use a 2A Arms balios lite and will most likely do a proof carbon fiber barrel. Dunno caliber though, like to expand on what I have of 223 Wylde, 556, 300blk, and Grendel in this size ar. To be compared even my Remington 700 is considered a lighter build for a 1k rifle at 12lbs! Hell most hunting rifles are above 9lbs without optics. So you are doing ok. Mine came out right around 8lbs with using mostly spare parts.
              Yeah, the optic+mount on this Grendel is just under 2 lbs, so the rifle itself is pretty light.

Weight's a funny thing. This Grendel @ 8'11" feels lighter than my current 6.8 @ 7'6" because the Hbar 6.8 is nose heavy. "Swing weight" is everything to me. If it balances on that little black box (as in the photo), then I'm good for 10 lbs or more. If it's really nose heavy, 8 lbs can get heavy pretty quick. I don't even count weight in a bolt rifle. I'm not going to be blasting 30 round mags from a standing position. I might have to lug it around, but any shots fired are gonna be from a supported position and few in number.

Sub-5 lb is pretty ambitious, but certainly doable. I think 5.5 lbs would be about right for me. Having a bit of weight is a good thing in an AR. What other caliber is worth doing in an AR15 platform? Why not build another 223 Wylde in 16" and sell a heavy one to help fund the lightweight build?
              "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• tracker12
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Tex that AR looks great.
                AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                  Tex that AR looks great.
                  Thanks.
                  My first Grendel.
                  I'm hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

Comment

• Gringoloco
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Comment

• Mudder500
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Barrel shoots amazing guys. Only shot it 15 times then jumped in deer stand and took my first deer with it. Y’all won’t b disappointed

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2017

Didn’t like how it was setup. Optics not right, I took off a 1-6 off of my 300blk handi rifle for now to try out.

Now yes Ambitious but have held a few of them at the NRA show. Hard to get rid of something here. I tend to have more than I can use but do like all my rifles. This was my spare lower that I thought about selling. Will negate to a backup when the Larue comes in as well as something for the wife when we go out together hunting, hopefully. She does have an AK and didn’t really want an AR till about a year ago she started hinting at wanting one. God love her only reason she gave me hell not really bout this Build was because she was hiding the fact that she got me the Larue kit for Xmas and was trying to not have me do double duty. Lol.. also a lot of my lowers are registered nfa s I have 4 ar-15 SBRs and this will make 9. All others are one Daniel Defense, one BCM (sbr), two Larue s (one sbr), one Battle Arms (SBR), 2 Noveskes, this Spikes Build and my first ever ar15 that I got before the Clinton Ban. Not really any I want to get rid of lol..

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by AppalachianGunSlinger View Post
                          Didn’t like how it was setup. Optics not right, I took off a 1-6 off of my 300blk handi rifle for now to try out.

Now yes Ambitious but have held a few of them at the NRA show. Hard to get rid of something here. I tend to have more than I can use but do like all my rifles. This was my spare lower that I thought about selling. Will negate to a backup when the Larue comes in as well as something for the wife when we go out together hunting, hopefully. She does have an AK and didn’t really want an AR till about a year ago she started hinting at wanting one. God love her only reason she gave me hell not really bout this Build was because she was hiding the fact that she got me the Larue kit for Xmas and was trying to not have me do double duty. Lol.. also a lot of my lowers are registered nfa s I have 4 ar-15 SBRs and this will make 9. All others are one Daniel Defense, one BCM (sbr), two Larue s (one sbr), one Battle Arms (SBR), 2 Noveskes, this Spikes Build and my first ever ar15 that I got before the Clinton Ban. Not really any I want to get rid of lol..
                          Looks great. My optic is 1-8X. We've basically built the same gun. What's the weight now? I figure I could shave a couple of oz off the front if I drop the brake for a hider, but I have a blast bell for that brake that keeps me range-friendly...

I know what you mean about getting rid of them. Hard to do when they perfectly suit your taste/needs. Haven't gone SBR, yet. Was thinking maybe ultra-light 10.5" 300BLK pistol next.

The wife's a keeper, there, bud. Mine is totally cool with the firearms. She's also good shot with rifle and pistol, but she doesn't love it. Maybe she'll get back into it if we ever make the the move back down South.

Comment

• PVBoom
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

Received. Woke up at 5:30 with my hangover, drove home from the GFs place and found the package on the doorstep.

Assemble can commence once I get a vice.

These are the first barrels I have ever purchased. Amused to see the plastic sheathing that looks like smaller version of what they use to protect bottles at the liquor store.

Comment

• Redomen
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2016

Got home from deer hunting today to find my barrel waiting for me! I know what I am doing on the first day of the new year! Any idea when the three prong flash hiders will ship?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Flash hiders were to have been done two weeks ago. Will check on this opening of business in the new year.
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X