Monster barrel made for shooting Wolf Steel Case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Monster barrel made for shooting Wolf Steel Case.

I'm sure this a dumb idea because of many safety reasons, but I'm still throwing it out here to be ridiculed. The other barrels went the opposite way with less engraving, how about one with more engraving? I will hide now.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

The whole "reduced engraving doesn't shoot Wolf steel accurately" thing is a theory posited by a guy just like me or you. A guy's opinion on the internet, not an expert. Yes, these things kind of take on lives of their own, but it's by no means hard science. We've got just as many guys saying their barrels shoot Wolf surprisingly good.

Anyway, it's unrealistic to rigorously and scientifically test this theory to any degree of certainty without Aberdeen Proving Ground levels of testing.

Barrel are just too individualistic. Guys will report, for example, that their Bartlein barrel hates a certain load or brand. Doesn't necessarily mean the barrel or the ammo is bad, just that with that particular barrel and ammo combo is not a good match.

Same thing here.

It's not the job of the barrel manufacturer to chase possibly out-of-spec ammo, THAT is a recipe for frustration.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Wonder if there's any chance of getting Daniel Defense to do a run of 6.5 Grendel CHF Chrome Lined barrels for this exact purpose. 16 inch Mid Length S2W profile comes to mind as about perfect.

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

The major cost savings of Wolf steel cased ammo is in the cost of the case.
        I wonder if someone could get a group buy on primed wolf cases and we could make our own cheap ammo with the bullet and powder of our choice?

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
          The major cost savings of Wolf steel cased ammo is in the cost of the case.
          I wonder if someone could get a group buy on primed wolf cases and we could make our own cheap ammo with the bullet and powder of our choice?
          Now that is an idea I like the sound of. I’d be in for a couple thousand
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

+1
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Red Dawn
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Good idea ... you have tons of cheaper ammo why not just build aBarrel to match the ammo and get better results.
              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

The issue if there is an issue is not with the steel case as much as it is with the undersized projectile that Wolf places in their steel case. I seem to remember it was a couple of thou off on the two or three that I pulled some time ago. If Wolf would use the proper sized hole puncher there would be less grumbling about it with the discussions that have occurred concerning them, even still many have taken these to fairly long distances and have clanked steel with them.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

IDK. For what it is, wolf does ok for me in a couple of different builds. I can usually hold 2" or so at 100. Good for trigger time and putting holes in targets, clay pigeons, and bowling pins. If I want to have shots touching each other, I'll switch to black or sst.

Comment

Working...
                  X