• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
    WoW!! Where do I send my money?
    I'll be collecting a deposit hopefully in the beginning of August. 25% if you're just buying a Nitrided Barrel. If you're buying an SLR gas block and/or Spikes upper/rail it'll need to be a little higher. (5%-10%) I'll be paying for them in full up front. I'll have to look at the numbers and figure that out.

Getting the Barrels Nitrided, they may have to be shipped to me afterwards for me to ship out unless I can figure something else out. If that's the case I'll ship everything at the same time.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thank you Cory!

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
        The reason Lilja doesn't do 1/2" twist is because they don't have the tooling. The tooling required costs a few hundred dollars.

If we can get a 25+ order here, Lilja will get the tooling to do the 7.5" Twist. However, it will cut into our additional discount.

Personally I don't mind paying a few more dollars to get the nominal twist rate. What do y'all think about it?
        Well, I'd highly value Bill Alexander's input above all on it, but... If I were forced to choose between 1-7", 1-8", or pay extra for 1-7.5" twist, I'd likely choose 1-8" twist unless the cost difference was very negligible.

If Tex's 1-8.75" twist will stabilize the 160 grain bullet (yes, it's a 20" barrel, but he's loading subsonic-- so barrel length isn't really at play here because he's running the same speeds I was) , then we should be good to go with 1-8" twist.

Again-- I would much rather have Bill Alexander's opinion though. He'd be the subject matter expert by far on the Grendel cartridge in all different configs!
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

I, too, would like to see the slowest twist we can get away with. But maybe my technical understanding is flawed. I'm assuming we can squeeze out some "free" extra velocity with a slower twist, but I'm not sure if that assumption has been debunked or not.

Anyway, Bill A. almost always engineers for the worst-case, extreme military use scenario, as well as the worst-case Billy Bob Bozo abuse. Tests for sub-zero arctic use and sauna-hot tropical use and for those wanting to shoot both 85gr varmint bullets and 160gr round noses in their 10.5" SBRs. I'm not really worried about those extremes, you know?

Give me the best twist rate for an 11.5" or 12.5" bbl using Wolf 100gr FMJ and Hornady 123gr AMax and I'll promise not to load 160gr round noses.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
            I, too, would like to see the slowest twist we can get away with. But maybe my technical understanding is flawed. I'm assuming we can squeeze out some "free" extra velocity with a slower twist, but I'm not sure if that assumption has been debunked or not.

Anyway, Bill A. almost always engineers for the worst-case, extreme military use scenario, as well as the worst-case Billy Bob Bozo abuse. Tests for sub-zero arctic use and sauna-hot tropical use and for those wanting to shoot both 85gr varmint bullets and 160gr round noses in their 10.5" SBRs. I'm not really worried about those extremes, you know?

Give me the best twist rate for an 11.5" or 12.5" bbl using Wolf 100gr FMJ and Hornady 123gr AMax and I'll promise not to load 160gr round noses.
            I get that, but I do intend to load from 95gr to 140gr projectiles. I'd really like to hear Bill As thoughts on a 7" and 8" vs a 7.5" twist in a 10.5" to 12.5" barrel.

Maybe one of y'all that know him can point him to this thread.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Sounds like 7.5" twist would be best, then, if that's what Bill A. used in his 10.5". I suspect any velocity gain going to 1:8 is barely measurable, if any, so the point is probably moot. Heck, what twist did he use in his 14.5s? I'll have to dig it up but I seem to remember it's 1:7.5.

Yep, from AA's 2010 catalog the 16, 14.5, and 10.5 are all listed as 1:7.5, so I think it's safe to assume he'd use that on a 12.5".
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Sounds like 7.5" twist would be best, then, if that's what Bill A. used in his 10.5". I suspect any velocity gain going to 1:8 is barely measurable, if any, so the point is probably moot. Heck, what twist did he use in his 14.5s? I'll have to dig it up but I seem to remember it's 1:7.5.

Yep, from AA's 2010 catalog the 16, 14.5, and 10.5 are all listed as 1:7.5, so I think it's safe to assume he'd use that on a 12.5".
                I don't think I asked my question correctly. I thought he'd say 7.5" was the nominal twist. My question was more how would a 7" or 8" compare, so we know if it's worth paying more to get the 7.5" twist. If it's not I'd be interested in what he thinks about a 7" twist.
                Last edited by cory; 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Ah, I see; I didn't realize "half-twists" cost more. At any rate, I did ask Bill and he thought 1:7.5 would be the way to go with a 12.5". I said, "Couldn't you tweak it up to 1:8?" He said that, speaking for the 10.5" . . . at sea level . . . in cold weather . . . with a 140gr . . . you MIGHT have issues stabilizing. He said he could have used slower twists in the longer barrels, but they shot so well with 1:7.5, so why not? He could have, for example, used a 1:9 in his 18".

I asked about velocity gain relative to twist. "Bullocks!" He said that was postulated by some with more time on their hands than pressure-testing equipment. (Also, and Bill didn't say this but I know it's a factor, more velocity is gained by minimizing the rifling profile area than by the twist. I think the 6.8SPC experimenters failed to properly control for that variable and falsely attributed velocity gains to twist.)

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Please see Post #3 for an update. I was able to get some SLR gas tubes and charging handles added to the deal.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

... I'll promise not to load 160gr round noses.
                      I won't make that promise...
                      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                        I won't make that promise...
                        Me neither.LOL I'm too lazy and busy (crazy but true) to do much, but I'm hoping that the 160's will run better in a 12.5" bore for me. I want them to cycle reliably with Trailboss powder.

The donuts of death along with the ballistic telephone pole....

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

I need to get a good count on who's in on this email, what everyone's preferences are and what other deals they'll be getting in on.

Please download the excel sheet at the following link and then email it to me at me.cory.m.clark@gmail.com (the email is correct, please copy and paste)

I've also posted the link in the OP.

Thanks

EDIT: Alright it's good to go now.
                          Last edited by cory; 07-18-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

I screwed on my math with the Spike's Discount.

I forgot to add in the discount for not needing the barrel nut for the mil spec receiver.
                            Last edited by cory; 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Kikn
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2011

I don't want the barrel. Can I get in on the rest of the group buys?

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                                I don't want the barrel. Can I get in on the rest of the group buys?
                                The spikes yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X