X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Dang, that is gonna be cool! Get home from work and build that up!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      Wooohooo!!! Got a small, very light, package delivered today.

I didn't have time to hang around and drool (had to go to work--- BOOOO!), but I did rip the box open and toss the barrel on the scale before departing.

20.65 ounces.

I didn't get to do any kind of detailed examination, but what little bit I saw in "drive-by" mode looked gorgeous.

A HUGE thanks to: Cory, Lilja, and Mark at Precision Firearms.
      How did the weight compare to the goal you set for it when we started this thing?
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

And mine came yesterday too. Looks a lot like Variables, only not so long and heavy. :0.
        Thanks for all the work Cory.

Comment

• Dave Bob
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2013

Mine came yesterday, wife had to pick it up today. Me I'm stuck out of town till the 24th so no joy till then.....Anyway thanks CORY!

Dave

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
            How did the weight compare to the goal you set for it when we started this thing?
            Almost dead on. I added a little bit of weight to the plan for aesthetic purposes (no ugly guns for me ). I was shooting for 20 ounces or less, and got 20.65 ounces for what should be an awesome barrel. Well worth the extra .65 ounce!
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
              Awesome! Can't wait to see your build finished, its going to be a one of a kind Grendel that will practically float away. Hopefully

And I'm sure it'll shoot lights out cause its a Lilja but I'm curious to see how much more kick this little horse will have than your 'normal' Grendel build.
              I'm betting it'll have a bit more recoil than normal. No worries there though. I can shoot .50 BMG all day (actually till the ammo runs out) and just get a little nauseous from the concussion. This little stick ought to be much friendlier than that.

My only recoil nemesis is with handguns. Years ago I had a stripped down and non-ported 4.75" Freedom Arms 454 Casull. That thing was intense with full house loads. I tried to "man up" and get used to the recoil by burning up a fortune in ammo, but it ended up giving me a flinch instead. I still have a little once in a while. Rifles are unaffected though

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
              That thing looks awesome, Variable.
              Thanks man! You guys made an awesome project come together. If it shoots anything like it looks, it'll be a family heirloom.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                Dang, that is gonna be cool! Get home from work and build that up!
                I'd love to build it up, but now I have to find someone to cerakote everything in FDE for me first. It's kind of a shame to do that to this barrel in a way, because it's gorgeous as-is in flat black!

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                And mine came yesterday too. Looks a lot like Variables, only not so long and heavy. :0.
                Thanks for all the work Cory.
                Haha! Neener Neener! J/K!

Comment

• Bwild97
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

Just waiting on a can and a gasblock!

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

I'd love to build it up, but now I have to find someone to cerakote everything in FDE for me first. It's kind of a shame to do that to this barrel in a way, because it's gorgeous as-is in flat black!

Haha! Neener Neener! J/K!
                    I'd advise against cerakoting the barrel. Whoever does it will have to bead blast the out layer of the barrel of to get the cerakote to stick properly. It won't be the inside, so your barrel's life should be the same. However, you'll lose the corrosive resistant properties of the nitrite on the outside of your barrel.

I sent a barrel and an aac flashhider to a gunsmith to pin and cerakote the barrel a while back. A little miscommunication and he cerakoted the FH too. He said he liked to never have gotten enough material off of the FH to be able to cerakote it. I really wish he hadn't tried. I prefer that my ARs not be a solid color. Breaking up the color pattern breaks up the distinct silhouette of a rifle.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Very Nice Bwild! I don't know why we're not seeing a lot more of these beauties?!?!?! HAHA

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I'd advise against cerakoting the barrel. Whoever does it will have to bead blast the out layer of the barrel of to get the cerakote to stick properly. It won't be the inside, so your barrel's life should be the same. However, you'll lose the corrosive resistant properties of the nitrite on the outside of your barrel.

I sent a barrel and an aac flashhider to a gunsmith to pin and cerakote the barrel a while back. A little miscommunication and he cerakoted the FH too. He said he liked to never have gotten enough material off of the FH to be able to cerakote it. I really wish he hadn't tried. I prefer that my ARs not be a solid color. Breaking up the color pattern breaks up the distinct silhouette of a rifle.
                        The cerakote wouldn't stick to the nitrided surface as-is? It's already bead blasted... I (admittedly) don't know anything about cerakoting, but I would have thought the current surface would have had enough "tooth" being as it's already bead blasted. I know it'd need a very thorough degreasing at least.

Comment

• am4966
                          Chieftain
                          • Jul 2014

Take a look at Weapon Works LLC, that's who I'm gonna send my SBR when I'm ready for it to get coated. However I'm thinking of doing a Camo job, and Weapon Works LLC is a 07 FFL and 02 SOT. You'd need to fill out the correct forms and send copies with.

Or find a applicator locally but I'm sure you'll still need to have forms filled out, atf F@&$!
                          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

Very Nice Bwild! I don't know why we're not seeing a lot more of these beauties?!?!?! HAHA
                            I got a late start on my form 1 and I mean LATE, haha. Then the atf decided to switch the amount of time to approve the form 1's to around 4 months. So I'm thinking within the next 30 days or so and I'll get my stamp so I can have the privilege of owning a Grendel SBR
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

The cerakote wouldn't stick to the nitrided surface as-is? It's already bead blasted... I (admittedly) don't know anything about cerakoting, but I would have thought the current surface would have had enough "tooth" being as it's already bead blasted. I know it'd need a very thorough degreasing at least.
                              I'm no expert not even a novice in cerakoting, but I wouldn't think it would. They aren't bead blasted, but have you ever cleaned an NiB or Nitrided Carrier? The surface is extremely smooth.

Comment

• CastorTroy
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2015

are you guys going with adjustable gasblocks? if not, what buffer?

Comment

Working...
                                X