X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigStickSmoker
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2015

No pissing match here. Unfortunately, my comment was received very negatively though there was no intention of it being negative.

My humble apologies to anyone who was personally offended.

Comment

• Savageman25
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

Apology accepted. I also apologize for my reaction. I should have handled it much differently.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Theoretically, I suppose at this point it's possible to change the group buy from 16" to 18" — no metal has been cut, it's just a tweak on a drawing — but it can quickly get complicated as it's not fair to those who've already bought into the 16", or if Faxon quotes a new price, etc. I just figured everybody was "18'd-out" and that — at this price point — there are guys who want the shortest legal barrel not requiring an NFA hassle. If I knew for sure that 50 18-inchers would fill up in a week, then, sure, why not? But if there's about equal demand, then we're back to square one. In that case, it's best to stay the course. Personally, I have an AA 16" (probably an E. R. Shaw?), and a Satern 18", so I'm cool with both lengths.

But let's try this: Play with a ballistics calculator, such as JBM. In an absolute best-case scenario, in which we give an 18" the benefit of 25 fps per inch over a 16", we then can run sample ballistics for something like the 123 A-Max at 2450 fps for a 16" and 2500 for an 18".

At 300 yards, the difference in drop is 0.5" — smaller than a dime — and in a 10 mph wind the difference in drift is 0.2" — about the size of a BB. At three hundred yards! At 600 yards the difference in drop is 4.6" and drift is 1.0". At 600 the 18" velocity is 1572 fps and the 16" is 1535.3, a difference of 36.7 fps.

Now, only you can say whether those numbers are significant for you. For a field or truck or home defense gun at this price point, my personal calculus values handling over minor velocity gains; for me, two-tenths of an inch three football fields away just gets lost in the noise value!

Anyway, this kind of group buy definitely has to be one length or the other; Faxon needs a minimum of 50 in only one length. So, holding out for a different length, while entirely understandable, is actually a bit counter-productive. That is to say, if the first length doesn't happen — whatever that may be — then the second length certainly won't. Maybe Black Hole Weaponry corners the market on 65G barrels? They make a good barrel at a good price, and it's polygonal, to boot. But I see value in a variety of vendors. I like that Faxon includes QPQ meloniting, for example.

Faxon's patient. I'm patient (well, mostly!), but I'd like to keep this rolling. If you're not in the market, bug your buddies! We've got a unique evolutionary rifling profile here, one that is long overdue in the 6.5 caliber, and its time has come.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

I am new to the Grendel and the forum. I've mostly just been reading and learning until I can get mine built. I was holding out for a complete upper as I do not have the experience or equipment to assemble an upper from parts. I was also hoping to have one in time for this year's deer/bear season but that is looking unlikely.

I have also been weighing the 16" vs 18" vs 20" options. But one can never have too many guns so if I end up with all 3, oh well. I also like the idea of the nitrided barrel. My 5.56 is nitride treated and it shoots great! This is a $50 option with most mfg's if it's even available. as well as barrel threading.

So, sh*t or get off the pot already. Look for my deposit soon. I'm in.

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post

But let's try this: Play with a ballistics calculator, such as JBM. In an absolute best-case scenario, in which we give an 18" the benefit of 25 fps per inch over a 16", we then can run sample ballistics for something like the 123 A-Max at 2450 fps for a 16" and 2500 for an 18".

At 300 yards, the difference in drop is 0.5" — smaller than a dime — and in a 10 mph wind the difference in drift is 0.2" — about the size of a BB. At three hundred yards! At 600 yards the difference in drop is 4.6" and drift is 1.0". At 600 the 18" velocity is 1572 fps and the 16" is 1535.3, a difference of 36.7 fps.

Now, only you can say whether those numbers are significant for you. For a field or truck or home defense gun at this price point, my personal calculus values handling over minor velocity gains; for me, two-tenths of an inch three football fields away just gets lost in the noise value!
            Loved that information!!! Thanks.

Being new to the Grendel game I have am not yet finished with my own hand load development so I have not extended past basic 100 yard test groups while exploring various loads out of my AA Overwatch

This information that you provided is very interesting and exciting and makes me happy that I was #2 in the payment received list! Appreciate the opportunity for an exciting new addition!
            Last edited by BigStickSmoker; 09-16-2015, 04:42 PM. Reason: spell check error

Comment

• RogueNathan
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              T
              Faxon's patient. I'm patient (well, mostly!), but I'd like to keep this rolling. If you're not in the market, bug your buddies! We've got a unique evolutionary rifling profile here, one that is long overdue in the 6.5 caliber, and its time has come.
              Don't worry, we're patient!

We'll see if there is a way to push through some small quantities.
              The Director at Faxon Firearms.

Please send us an e-mail anytime! Nathan.S@faxonfirearms.com

Comment

• Fredman
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Well, if that's the case, could you have a hot chick deliver mine next week? ��

Seriously, would it be difficult to combine both 16" & 18" barrels? I realize it's more than taking a hacksaw to the barrel, just wondering.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Jonny, Raven--offer up the 17" bbl. LF52 has it in a Lilja tube.

Dat's what most would want ? I would get that! Do a wanna get one soon section- soon!
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 09-20-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• D.Davis
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2013

Hey, I want one. If the wait time was a known I would send in my $$$ right now. Dave.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Yeah, the wait time is a tough one. Sort of the nature of the beast. I suppose one could set a time limit by which time one either has the minimum number of orders, or one refunds the deposits and cancels the project. Barring that scenario, we are dependent on the timing and whims of the potential participants. . . . Did you get your grandma to order one yet?
                      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

New participant, and a new milestone: We're now at double digits! 10 of 50. Woohoo! ;-) Which of you is next? C'mon in, the water's FINE!

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Something must be missing here, in the sales pitch. More data?

BFT's koolaid is good. I would get 2 of these , if I dint buy my latest 16" this spring.

He spoke Nothing of this to me in March. We had dinner together then. There were a few odd questions, come to remember,,, hmmmm.....

But after a many chats with John since then,,,, I really like this idea. Think close range hunts- like almost all of my hunts are.

Comment

• 2_speed
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2011

Y'all have to help me out, here. I'm in & waiting is gonna be tough

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Another order from Alaska. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

2 speed, hang on dude! - It will happen, just takes time upon this new idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X