Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Any more info on this? On still?

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Lodging at the Whittington Center, and 3-4 hotels in Raton (though you would think it's a ghost town).

I am still planning on going, just need to try to get the rest of my horde with the time off.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Yes guys it is still on. As mentioned, call the WC to see what lodging they have there, or check with the local hotels. I have a huge house remodeling project underway so won’t be able to come. Somebody ring that 1100 yd Buffalo for me. The range will be the silhouette one, see earlier posts.....
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Yes guys it is still on. As mentioned, call the WC to see what lodging they have there, or check with the local hotels. I have a huge house remodeling project underway so won’t be able to come. Somebody ring that 1100 yd Buffalo for me. The range will be the silhouette one, see earlier posts....

Edit, 10-11 October.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

The hell!?!?!?

You set this up, and now you are bowing out?
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Already explained, #29. Life happens my friend. Sometimes you gotta play the hand you're dealt.

Comment

• Armadillo66
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

When I was there last week the Pro Shop Mgr said they had ordered Grendel ammo for the shop to have in stock, my 13yr old grandson Indigo ringing the 600yd gong on the new MSR range
                resize 1.jpg

Comment

• brian y
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                  I'm a kidney donor, gave one to my older brother many moons ago. I only mention it to laugh that my urologist's name was Dr. Streem. At least it wasn't I.P. Crooked.

So how are we doing with this meet, any new news?
                  Things have worked out ok for me and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll be bringing my only Grendel and a 6.5CM bolt gun for more serious longer-range shooting. I'm just learning with little real distance experience.
                  I'm wondering what types of shooting we'll be able to try. Silhouettes, rimfire, pistols?

The date's getting close enough I need to do some research on lodging and things to do around Raton.
                  Randy, This is the itinerary greyfox proposed in the first post; Read on !!!

1. Dates: 2 days, Oct 10-11. We will book and use the High Power Silhouette Range (range 24C if I'm not mistaken). I think I can the range probably closed to everyone else so we'd have it to ourselves. I'm setting the start so that I can get there a day or 2 early and make sure everything is good to go.

We should have a group of 10-20 shooters. I need a head count.

O, and their Exec Director is a Grendel fan!! So I invited him to shoot with us.

2. Food: We'll use their dining facility in the shotgun building, they do a breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets with lots to eat, all home-cooked, for $37.50 per day per person. We aren't a big enough group for them to do concessions... but we can byo or see what they have there outside of mealtime. No alcohol in, on, or around the range!!

3. Lodging: 2-days 3 nights. we need to reserve some spaces, they have lots of choices from cabins to "competitors" cabins, to RV and even camp sites. I need to know what everyone will do so I can talk with their Program Director. I'm probably going to go for a founder's cabin b/c of back issues, but if a bunch wants to do that competitors cabin that's a great setup.

4. Agenda: this is what I'm penciling out, let me have any comments or suggestions. Remember I'm trying to keep it a bit modest for this first get-together, I expect we can expand it once we get this one under our belt.
                  Note: All NRA WC rules and regulations apply!
                  a. Might want to arrive Day 0, Tues Evening.
                  b. Day 1, Weds, Oct 11
                  -----i. Breakfast, 07:30 +/-
                  -----ii. 08:30 – 9:30 AM, meet at range 24C, 100 yd sight in and practice out to (far as you want).
                  -----iii. 9:30 – 11:30, 300 yd shoot
                  -----iv. 12:00-1:00 lunch
                  -----v. 2:00 – 3:00 pm, Informal topic on 6.5 and shooting
                  -----vi. 3:00 – 5:00 “Finals”, 300 yd
                  -----vii. 6:00 dinner, welcome, speaker
                  c. Day 2, Thursday, Oct 12
                  -----i. Breakfast, 07:30 +/-
                  -----ii. 09:00 – 11:00 AM, meet at range 24C, 600 yd shoot
                  -----iii. 12:00-1:30 lunch
                  -----iv. 2:00 – 3:00 pm, Informal topic on 6.5 and shooting
                  -----v. 3:00 – 5:00 “Finals”, 600 yd; 1000 yd tie-breaker if necessary
                  -----vi. 6:00 dinner, “awards” (IF I can scrounge up some sponsors!!!), speaker
                  d. Day 3: depart or you’re on your own.

It looks good to me, Brian
                  NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Brian and Randy,
                    Just a bit of clarification, the schedule is as laid out, however, I couldn't get enough people to commit in time to reserve any cabins at the WC, so everyone is on their own for lodging. There might be some open spots there otherwise check the hotels in Raton etc.
                    Food: call the WC to see if you can still get into the eating facility the daily rate is pretty good IMO and I hear he's a great chef, I think you can get in but don't assume. Otherwise food is on your own also.
                    They also have camping spots so look at the website for the Whittington Center NRA range, call the numbers for info on lodging/food...

Finally (I have to re-check with Paul) but Lrrpf52 has tentatively agreed to do an informal on-range session, I called it "I'll take Wind Calls for 600 Alex!" That would be a great time listening to one of our Grendel and general all-round shooting experts.

Program Director is Ken Mestas, he says he wants to shoot with yall also.
                    Chef is JD Fish.

Comment

• brian y
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Thanks grayfox for the info, I will call them this week and see what lodging is still available and also about the food. Are there still 7 people showing up for this?, A head count would be good.
                      Last edited by brian y; 08-26-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        Brian, sorry to hear, kidneys are nothing to trifle with, I do hope yours keep working... honestly I'd never heard of a nephrologist before so was just trying a little humor. I have a good friend who's having liver troubles, Drs can't exactly figure it out... we are truly fearfully and wonderfully made, wishing only the best of health for you.
                        LOL. The maker should be sued for knowingly creating a product that malfunctions so often, in so many different ways.

But, I'll join you in wishing the best for Brian. Also Nuggin, your friend, and anyone else with serious medical problems.

Comment

• brian y
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

First thank you stanc for the good wishes,
                          Now back to the meet, I talked to George at the Whittington Center today and he told me that the only lodging available form the 9th-12th would be the competitor housing. It is $60 per night per room and Each wing contains five bedrooms, each with two single beds, a kitchenette and two separate bathrooms with showers for men and women. Please let me know if anyone wants to stay on site as we could get one of the wings. You can go on there site and see the floor plan, It is a shared bathroom.
                          As for food it is available but they need hard numbers to quote a price so again how many and are we all ok with eating on site, We are talking breakfast lunch and dinner.
                          Please let me know asap if you want to stay on site as i would like to book my room.

Comment

• brian y
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

So since nobody has answered the above post am i right in assuming everyone has their lodging worked out?, If so i am going to book mine. Also is everyone ok with eating at the range? greyfox originally talked about it and if everyone is fine with it i will confirm it with the chef on Monday, We are looking at breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for the 2 days we are their and i believe the cost was $37.50 per day per person, I will check on that.
                            If you can let me know by Sunday pm who will be their i will have the numbers for chef, Brian

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

I'll be down with the food at the range, so long as it's not continental breakfast (bagels, fruit, and waffles), Cold sandwiches, then a real meal for dinner. I'm used to shooting matches down there from 0700 to 1500 and just having munchies through the day.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by brian y View Post
                                So since nobody has answered the above post am i right in assuming everyone has their lodging worked out?, If so i am going to book mine. Also is everyone ok with eating at the range? greyfox originally talked about it and if everyone is fine with it i will confirm it with the chef on Monday, We are looking at breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for the 2 days we are their and i believe the cost was $37.50 per day per person, I will check on that.
                                If you can let me know by Sunday pm who will be their i will have the numbers for chef, Brian
                                Yep, $37.50 sounds good to me, sign me up. I still haven't booked a room because there is still a tiny chance that I won't be able to go. Hopefully there will be a hotel room somewhere close.
                                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                                X