• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Grizzly kills another person in Montana

Ovando is my stomping grounds and is where I had a false charge many moons ago. A friend of mine said bear spray had been deployed, but no confirmation so far. I have seen many bicyclist from around the world ride through this prime bear habitat and had no clue of the Grizzly population that exist in this area until I told them..This is the 3rd person that has been killed by a Grizzly in this area in my life time..https://www.kpax.com/news/western-mo...bear-in-ovando
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Pretty early in the morning. Was the fellow camping or do we know?
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      Pretty early in the morning. Was the fellow camping or do we know?
      Sounds like he was camping with a group of other cyclist right in or near the community of Ovando. Other information is sketchy at the moment...

Up date: I just talked to a friend who said it was a woman that was killed in a camp ground in Ovando. This bear had been seen the night before going after chickens. They have guards around the town, a helicopter and others looking for this bear. They have also set traps around the area. This is a very brazen bear to do this, with so many people around...People are quite concerned.....
      Last edited by montana; 07-07-2021, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Ya know, I'm not trying to make light of this but I'm reminded of a scene in Aliens.

Newt: My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are.
        Ripley: Yes, there are, aren't there?
        Newt: Why do they tell little kids that?
        Ripley: Most of the time it's true.

I just can't imagine being dragged out of my sleeping bag in the middle of the night by something like that.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          Ya know, I'm not trying to make light of this but I'm reminded of a scene in Aliens.

Newt: My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are.
          Ripley: Yes, there are, aren't there?
          Newt: Why do they tell little kids that?
          Ripley: Most of the time it's true.

I just can't imagine being dragged out of my sleeping bag in the middle of the night by something like that.
          This is a perfect case of why people should always carry or be around others who do. I have camped, worked, hunted, played and lived in Grizzly country all of my life and I have never been unarmed. Pepper spray has it's place, but not in a tent or in a sleeping bag..

I do have to say, I would not have expected a bear to be that brazon around so many people.. Not a pleasant way to go...

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

That place is pretty far out there in rough country.

Still don't know for sure what happened though.

My bet is he was hiking and or doing some mountain biking and got between the mother and cubs. '

LR55

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              That place is pretty far out there in rough country.

Still don't know for sure what happened though.

My bet is he was hiking and or doing some mountain biking and got between the mother and cubs. '

LR55
              The attack occurred in a camp ground right in Ovando around 5:00 AM. My friend said it was a woman who was with a group of other cyclist who were camping there for the night. https://www.kpax.com/news/western-mo...tack-continues

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                The attack occurred in a camp ground right in Ovando around 5:00 AM. My friend said it was a woman who was with a group of other cyclist who were camping there for the night. https://www.kpax.com/news/western-mo...tack-continues
                Yep -- guess so. Kind of rare for a bear to do such a thing so I guess her time was up. Somehow I don't think her having spray or a firearm would have changed the outcome on this one.

LR55

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  Yep -- guess so. Kind of rare for a bear to do such a thing so I guess her time was up. Somehow I don't think her having spray or a firearm would have changed the outcome on this one.

LR55
                  I know if that had been me he grabbed in my sleeping bag, he would have left with one hell of a headache..

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

Has it been determined if the woman had food in her tent?
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                      Has it been determined if the woman had food in her tent?
                      Here are some more details. https://www.kpax.com/news/western-mo...ly-bear-attack
                      It appears the campers were awakened by the bear earlier in the night and the bear ran away. They then removed and secured all food from their tents.How they secured their food on bicycles was not explained. The bear returned later to the camp sight and attacked the woman. Her neighbors camping near by, "were awakened by her screams" where they deployed bear spray.
                      My guess is the bear was attracted to the smell of the food they had previously had in their tents. This is only an assumption on my part, but I would bet I'm not wrong. This mistake probably cost her her life. I would have also stayed awake and kept guard if a Grizzly had come into my camp so late at night...

Comment

• AK_Reloader
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2021

Stupidity is not curable.

Tabasco sauce would have been a better option than bear spray.

A bear does NOT have to be down wind of you like a dog or cat to smell you.
                        Last edited by AK_Reloader; 07-09-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by AK_Reloader View Post
                          Stupidity is not curable.

Tabasco sauce would have been a better option than bear spray.

A bear does NOT have to be down wind of you like a dog or cat to smell you.
                          Mate, that's a bit harsh. They took a risk, perhaps not even knowing it was a risk and paid for it dearly. It strikes me as more unfortunate than stupid. Lessons hard learned for sure.

How do you figure scent can travel upwind?

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Klem, Montana, et al.

No one mentioned the possibility that she was having her period. Could be and could be the cause but then again, maybe not. Could be she knew the steps to avoid a bear attack and even took them. Maybe she knew and didn't take them. Maybe she didn't know.

Ever figured that just maybe the bear decided to attack and kill her for what ever instinct or reason a bear can have?

Everyone tries to rationalize things that may just be an act of God, fate, nature, animal instincts, chance, and any other of a thousand different things.

The end of this will be the bear either being killed or never being found.

And this forum is for Announcements and I just can't see how this topic has anything to do with firearms, the Grendel, or this forum.

Sorry guys but I am locking this one,

LR55

Comment

Working...
                            X