• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadCow
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

Newb from GA

Bought a J&T upper back in 2010, stored it in the safe and forgot about it due to ammo and reloading components almost non-existent . Found it when I was making room for some new X'mas goodies and I am now ready to see what kind of performance I can get out of it this year. Always loved the 6.5mm ever since my first swede mauser back in 91. Looking forward to tapping the forum for expertise on what I can get out of a 16" barrel in this caliber.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. If you reload, the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks will really be a huge help to you in component selection, die set-up, as well as loads.

My first Grendel was a 16", still have it. It does more than I though it could, mainly because of the BC and twist rate.

I shoot a lot of 123gr through it, both factory and hand loads, using mostly 123gr AMAX, SST, and Lapua Scenar.

I also shoot the 120gr Scenar-L, 129gr SST, 129gr ABLR, 120gr TSX, 100gr Nosler BT, and custom 94gr GMX.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

What part of GA? Canton here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome from another J&T 16" 6.5 Grendel owner. My 16" 6.5 Grendel is GTG!

Comment

• Buster
            Warrior
            • Mar 2012

Welcome aboard, to the Horde!

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Welcome!! For a reloader new to the Grendel, the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks are worth getting.

Comment

• MadCow
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Welcome aboard. If you reload, the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks will really be a huge help to you in component selection, die set-up, as well as loads.

My first Grendel was a 16", still have it. It does more than I though it could, mainly because of the BC and twist rate.

I shoot a lot of 123gr through it, both factory and hand loads, using mostly 123gr AMAX, SST, and Lapua Scenar.

I also shoot the 120gr Scenar-L, 129gr SST, 129gr ABLR, 120gr TSX, 100gr Nosler BT, and custom 94gr GMX.
                I picked up a couple of boxes of 123gr AMAX to see how it does but will be doing some load development for the 129gr SSTs since I picked up a bunch at a good price. My only concern with the 129gr bullets is that my barrel is a 1:9 twist, do you think it will stabilize the heavier bullet?

Comment

• MadCow
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Lightning8 View Post
                  What part of GA? Canton here.
                  I'm in Augusta

Comment

• MadCow
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                    Welcome from another J&T 16" 6.5 Grendel owner. My 16" 6.5 Grendel is GTG!
                    Do you handload and have a pet load for the heavier bullets? 129gr/130gr?

Comment

• MadCow
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      Welcome!! For a reloader new to the Grendel, the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks are worth getting.

www.AR15buildbox.com
                      Will definitely pick them up. I hope it has more data for the heavier bullets. When I first wanted to get into the 6.5G, most of the load data was for 120gr-123gr bullets.

Comment

Working...
                      X