• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nomad636
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

1st time posting

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, well posting that is. I've been reading and following threads for a while now. I just got my 1st 6.5 Grendel. I went with an Alexander Arms 18" lightweight. After agonizing for weeks about what optic to get I ended up going with a Nightforce SHV 3-10 MOAR reticle.

The lower is one that I'm borrowing from my SPR. It has a Hiperfire 24 C trigger. It's breaking just over 2lb.

This coming weekend will be the first opportunity to put some rounds down range. Going pig hunting on Friday night. Should be an interesting hunt! Sight in Friday afternoon and slay piggies Friday night. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Hornady 123 SST works on Texas Hogs.
  • Nomad636
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

With the 3-10 optic, what is going to be the longest distance I'll be able to realistically shoot with this setup? I come from a .270 and .308 hunting background. My long range shooting is limited to about 800yds.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Welcome. The SST shoulda be perfect on hogs.
      NRA Lifer

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nomad636 View Post
        With the 3-10 optic, what is going to be the longest distance I'll be able to realistically shoot with this setup? I come from a .270 and .308 hunting background. My long range shooting is limited to about 800yds.
        I have shot my 16" 6.5 Grendel to 800 yards during daylight at 350' ASL but the bullet still stays supersonic past 1000 yards. I just maxed out my 3-9X40 Mark AR mildot scope elevation at that range. By using the mildot reticle and hold over I could get a little further but if your going to regularly shoot past 700 yards I'd recommend a 20 MOA mount.

Welcome to the forum be sure and let us know how you do on your hog hunt.

Comment

• Nomad636
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

Thank you for the honest review. The mount I used was a Nikon M223 XR 30mm 20moa built in. I'm hoping that this will get me out to the limitations of the rifle and cartridge.

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          I have shot my 16" 6.5 Grendel to 800 yards during daylight at 350' ASL but the bullet still stays supersonic past 1000 yards. I just maxed out my 3-9X40 Mark AR mildot scope elevation at that range. By using the mildot reticle and hold over I could get a little further but if your going to regularly shoot past 700 yards I'd recommend a 20 MOA mount.

Welcome to the forum be sure and let us know how you do on your hog hunt.

Comment

• leopard6.5
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2016

Welcome to the Horde! Remember it's not a hobby, it's an addiction. So have fun.

Lee

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nomad636 View Post
              Thank you for the honest review. The mount I used was a Nikon M223 XR 30mm 20moa built in. I'm hoping that this will get me out to the limitations of the rifle and cartridge.

Sounds like your going to have a great build and did your home work. I've read it's not good for the scope's internals to adjust to the max frequently and I wish I had bought a 20 MOA mount for my 16" 6.5 Grendel. Getting a 20 MOA mount for my 16 incher is on my to do list. I hope you enjoy the forum stay safe!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. You picked a good combination of components.

I've shot my 16" AA out to 1200yds with scary repeatability. I shot out to 1500yds once, but didn't have an MOA base, so I was out of everything, to include reticle hold, but the bullets were impacting in the same place, so I told myself I need to get at least a 20 MOA base on it.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X