• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Retro
    Warrior
    • Jul 2016

New from Washington (State)

I'm building my first Grendel. I'm pretty excited to get this build done and test it out. I am using an Odinworks barrel and BCG, Anderson upper with Anderson 80% lower. I've done all of the machine work with a Bridgeport mill so everything is spot on. Once I empty a few cases I will start reloading. I picked up a set of Lee dies. I've heard that you can use 7.62 X 39 brass and resize it. Any thoughts on this?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Retro View Post
    I'm building my first Grendel. I'm pretty excited to get this build done and test it out. I am using an Odinworks barrel and BCG, Anderson upper with Anderson 80% lower. I've done all of the machine work with a Bridgeport mill so everything is spot on. Once I empty a few cases I will start reloading. I picked up a set of Lee dies. I've heard that you can use 7.62 X 39 brass and resize it. Any thoughts on this?
    Once every three months or so this comes up.

Do a search on forming 7.62 X 39 brass.

Basically though, you are far better off buying Grendel brass than fire forming the 7.62 X 39 brass.

Isn't even close. Not even if you have mounds of 7.62 X 39 brass. Better to sell it to a scrap dealer and use the money to buy Grendel brass.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Yo Retro:

Forgot! Welcome!

Where in Washington?

If South Sound, when you get your Grendel blaster done we can link up and shoot some.

LR55

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Retro!

Comment

• Retro
          Warrior
          • Jul 2016

Kitsap County. It would be great to hook up with someone familiar with this platform

Comment

• Retro
            Warrior
            • Jul 2016

Got it. I was looking at the brass at Alexander Arms. I read that it's made by Lapua.

Comment

• GREGJUEL
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2016

Spokane Valley-far east

New kid on the block from Spokane Valley. Building Grendel AR upper using Anderson upper w/ no bolt assist. Black Hole 18" barrel and bolt. Midwest 18" M-Lok forearm and accessories. All Ceracoted(sp) FDE so I can see this one is different from the rest. M16 BCG. E-Lander mags from Alexander Arms. I have picked up seven different factory loads to see what it likes. Just waiting for a rifle length gas tube. Wouldn't you think in a valley of 400,000+ people someone would have one on the shelf! Ordered this muzzle break- http://www.ebay.com/itm/221311913421...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lee 3 piece dies. I haven't reloaded in about 20-25 years hopefully it will all come back to me. I need to find some home brewed loads. I got the #2 Grendel pamphlet and see most of it came from here 3 years ago. I will be going thru the reloading section looking for load data unless someone can save me the time and point me to some current ones. My local gun mega store has a sign up that all Alliant powder will be in short supply this summer. A lot of the current powders weren't even around back when I reloaded. I have been zeroing in on Alliant AR and IMR 8208XBR. I would like to find a chart that gives the burn rate of the powders to find a fairly fast burn powder for the 18" barrel.

Just ordered the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 and Vortex mount.

See you around the forum, GREG
              Last edited by GREGJUEL; 08-07-2016, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Welcome! 8208 is a great powder for the Grendel up to the 123 grain bullets. Max load is about 28.5 grains for them. You might want to consider Hornady does, the Lees have not been consistent quality wise.

Comment

• Retro
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2016

I went ahead and bought 100 Hornady cases to get started. No 7.62

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I went ahead and bought 100 Hornady cases to get started. No 7.62
                    Retro:

You won't regret that decision. Most all of us had to fireform 7.62 X 39 brass when the Grendel came out because Grendel brass simply wasn't available for most of the year. It worked but it wasn't worth the time and money.

LR55

Comment

• Retro
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2016

Went and tried the new rifle and it is sweet. It shoots way better than my skill level. All that I had to try it out with were 40 rounds of PPU 110 gr. It was more of a test to make sure that I built the rifle correctly and I'm happy to say it was almost flawless. Only problem was I didn't seat the magazine correctly twice. My new brass should arrive tomorrow and I will put together some tests loads. Has anyone used IMR 4895 with any of their loads? It was kind of funny when I showed the round to the range master. He kind of looked at me like I had three eyes. So, I let him put five rounds down range and he didn't look at me funny anymore.
                      Last edited by Retro; 08-12-2016, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Retro
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2016

LR1955 where in the South Sound are you? I don't mind taking a road trip to get a little advice and shooting time with you.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Went and tried the new rifle and it is sweet. It shoots way better than my skill level. All that I had to try it out with were 40 rounds of PPU 110 gr. It was more of a test to make sure that I built the rifle correctly and I'm happy to say it was almost flawless. Only problem was I didn't seat the magazine correctly twice. My new brass should arrive tomorrow and I will put together some tests loads. Has anyone used IMR 4895 with any of their loads? It was kind of funny when I showed the round to the range master. He kind of looked at me like I had three eyes. So, I let him put five rounds down range and he didn't look at me funny anymore.
                          Retro:

Sent my info back channel.

Now it is time for you to shift the question about powder to the reloading section so go there and post your question please!

LR55

Comment

• Pablomontana
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2016

Welcome GREGJUEL. I am new to the forum also, and we are neighbors.. and both building. I live just a hop skip and a jump from you over in the St Joe River Valley. Maybe after we finish building, as I am awaiting the arrival of one of the Faxon 16" group barrels before I can start, we can meet up to send a few rounds down range. I come up to your area to go to "town" and catch the symphony at the Fox. Yes, parts must be ordered and for factory ammo, Black Sheep in CDA does have several selections to include the Federal 120gr OTM, and some of the 8208 powder..so,I will be reloading as well. Let's be in touch. Pablo

Comment

Working...
                            X