• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doc_lewis
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

New Guy from South Georgia

Hey out there, glad to be welcomed into what looks like a great group of folks around an excellent cartridge . I'm from here in GA and spent 6 years as a Navy Corpsman Devil Doc playing in the resort sandboxes of Iraq and Afghanistan with my Marine brothers. Found myself a little too close to a car bomb in 09 that did a number on my neck and shooting shoulder thanks to the wood hut wall that caught me. I'm a mental health practitioner these days, and despite my liberal heavy profession, I am a gun/hunting/handloading fanatic. Have always been a 308 lover when it comes to hunting and always loved the AR platform in general and all that can be done around it. Have done my best to hold on to my 08's by adding recoil pads, breaks, weights, handloading reduced recoil loads, etcetera.... and finally started down the wonderful Grendel road with a JP 15 and am working on having one of my bolt 08's re-barreled now to the Grendel, as well as a 6.8 night viz set up as the barrel is starting to wear down .The 6.5 just works great here for about everything we can hunt and the ballistics/terminal performance amaze me for such a shoulder friendly round. Hoping to meet and learn from some of the great folks on here on how to get the most out the Grendel adventures.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Welcome doc and thanks for your service. What part of south ga u from if you don't mind me asking. I'm just above Tallahassee. Who's doing your bolt Grendel? Just curious.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum Doc and I'll second it, thank You for your service.

Comment

• doc_lewis
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2016

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Ric, Mike DeLoach at Nine Run Gun in Screven, GA does all of my work and he's a heck of fella. Just a down to earth honest guy that is a miracle worker in the shop. He's an FFL too so he takes orders from all over the country. I'm just above the FL line. Brantley County. Out in the woods, but still just 30 minutes from the beach when my girls are wanting to get away. I spent a lot of time in Tallahassee back when I worked for the VA....love it down there!

Comment

• AR_Noob
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2016

I too want to thank you for your service. I'm currently building an AR for the first time. I live in Valdosta, GA right now but am originally from Wilcox County GA and was wanting to make it a hog hunting gun as well as just a fun gun and was wanting to know how easy it is for you to find grendel rounds in south ga.

Comment

• AR_Noob
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2016

Or if I should just stick to 5.56 for my first build.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I usually find them pretty easily. I normally buy a case at a time, so between that and my reloads I keep some on hand. Check palmetto state armory as they usually have good deals on ammo. Cheaper than dirt use to have at 18.00/box but I quit using them when they pulled ar's off the market several years ago.

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• doc_lewis
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2016

Thnx Noob! I went to VSU for grad school and loved it there. The 3 years of driving not so much.Im big into handloading so ammo isn't an issue or cost problem at all. Hornady and Lapua "especially" make excellent brass with Hornady's 123 AMAX & SST's being excelłent bullets. Like Richard said PSA is an excellent site and I've honestly prob built 20-25 guns using them with no complaints on their 556 set ups. It might be good to start with a 556 to get used to the platform them move to a Grendel for more precision and game killing power when you know exactly how you want it based on experience, and since a quality Grendel with the optics it's worthy of is going to cost quite a bit more. Either way I don't think you can go wrong though!

Comment

• wheelguner
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2011

Welcome to the Horde doc. I knew I had heard of Screven and Google dialed me in. I hold Corpsmen in the highest regard. You have found the place for all things Grendel. I spend a lot of time in Mitchel County in South GA trying to thin out the pigs and coyotes that are unfortunately thriving there.
                  Semper Fi

Comment

• AR_Noob
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2016

I want to shoot a 6.5 Grendel before I build one. Everything I've read though says they're really accurate and pretty low on recoil.

Comment

Working...
                    X