• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeconcert
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

Greetings from Vermont.

Hello all,

I am a relatively inexperienced shooter, I've been plinking with my standard ARs for about 4 years now, and now I'm looking to add more capability. The Grendel platform caught my eye as being the ideal combination of light weight, long range capability, and terminal performance needed for hunting and/or target shooting. I am an electrical engineer, so I over analyze everything and research things to death, but like I said, I am relatively new so I decided to join this forum and learn as much as I could from the experts. Hope I don't drive anyone nuts with the questions I am sure I will have, and I look forward to learning!

Sincerely,

HC
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum! We all had to learn somewhere so feel to ask away. Very knowledgeable bunch of people on this forum.

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum.

Your over analysis has brought you to a correct answer

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Heeeey! Northern Maine here! We arnt thay far apart. Love vermont. I got lost there once on my way to new York in the white mountains in december. Most beautiful drive I've ever taken.

Comment

• Fredman
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Welcome fellow Vermonter. You are heading in the right direction. I'm in the Middlebury area, how far away are you? I have a PF Grendel upper and hopefully within a couple of weeks will have a 16" Faxon.

Comment

• homeconcert
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2016

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome all! Friedman, I am in central Vermont, I can be found in Montpelier, Waterburry and Burlington on a consistent basis.

Comment

• Fredman
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Cool! I've been into Paro's GS several times. If you haven't had the chance to shoot a Grendel, let me know.

Comment

• homeconcert
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2016

Parro's is a fun place to visit, they keep a good selection and have a good polish to them. They tend to be a little more expensive than Powderhorn in Williston, and I kinda like the rough edges around that shop. I have not had the opportunity to shoot a Grendel yet, but after looking at all the widely available cartridges that will fire out of a AR-15 lower and are suitable for whitetail hunting (7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, .300 AAC), and taking into account my secondary goal of long range target shooting, the Grendel seems to be a no-brainer. The real question is how to balance the two goals since they are somewhat opposite. The hunting in Vermont calls for as handy and most importantly, light, rifle possible, while long range target shooting calls for the longest and stiffest possible barrel. So I am going back and forth between an 18" and 20", and then what profile? Fluted or not? Then of course there is the student loan and new addition to the family factor, so a $600-$800 barrel/bolt combo is unfortunately out of the question. But I digress, I think this is a discussion for the custom build section, not the welcome section!

Comment

Working...
                  X