• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • va_connoisseur
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

New Guy from VA looking to getting into the 6.5

Hi. I am looking to build a few 6.5's: a hog gun, long range shooter and plinker. I am also looking to getting into reloading. And I am all new to this. Thanks.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum va_connosisseur, let us know how your builds go.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

each of us has his or her firmly held beliefs about optimized rifles, so don't be surprised if some alternative thinking gets thron your way!

Which of those threee do you plan to start with?

How will it be configured -- barrel, sights, etc.?
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the Forum VA-Connoisseur, you will find the Grendel capable of meeting the tasks you have mentioned and many more.
        If you are new to reloading, you may want to start with the Grendel reloading manuals which can be found at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/c/p...2-x9555123.htm
        The equipment you start reloading with will depend on budget and your quest for accuracy - it can become a quest of its own.
        Enjoy your build.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          each of us has his or her firmly held beliefs about optimized rifles, so don't be surprised if some alternative thinking gets thron your way!

Which of those threee do you plan to start with?

How will it be configured -- barrel, sights, etc.?

Thanks. I am looking at starting with the Hog Gun/Plinker. Possibly 20" barrel with a 1/8 twist, Athlon optics (2x10) is the preliminary start point

Comment

• va_connoisseur
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Thanks.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Texas View Post
              Welcome to the Forum VA-Connoisseur, you will find the Grendel capable of meeting the tasks you have mentioned and many more.
              If you are new to reloading, you may want to start with the Grendel reloading manuals which can be found at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/c/p...2-x9555123.htm
              The equipment you start reloading with will depend on budget and your quest for accuracy - it can become a quest of its own.
              Enjoy your build.
              Thanks for the link. I will have to dive into that info. I'll let you know if I have questions.

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

20 incher has a pretty long reach in and of itself.

Welcome to the horde
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by va_connoisseur View Post
                  Thanks. I am looking at starting with the Hog Gun/Plinker. Possibly 20" barrel with a 1/8 twist, Athlon optics (2x10) is the preliminary start point
                  You may find that the Hog Hunter will do pretty much everything you are thinking of!
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Imo, you are only talking about two builds.

I don't consider any of mine plinkers but my 16" guns are my preferred hunters. My 20's are set up more for bench shooting but do pull duty in a box stand when needed.

So I would consider the hog gun and plinker the same and would look at 16" to handle quicker and save some weight. Get a 20-24" for your target shooting
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                    X