• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ten Ring
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Optics and mounts

Well I sure there are as many opinions as there manufacturers!!! But here I go
    I have just bulit a Grendel,with a shilen 20inc H bar Match Barrel, Vltor upper and forearm. Right now I looking at Nikon M308 BDC with the M308 mount. But I can only find it in the 20* MOA . I use SpotOn sofware and knot how to use the BDC.
    So is there and advantage or disadvantage to the 20moa base? Or should I just use the m223?
    Or maybe I am in the wrong ball park all together!!!!!
    Wepons will be used for a cross of long range fun now and then and hunting
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Yeah, don't get that mount. It's a 3-piece base, not including the rings, and the rings only have single fasteners per side.

I would consider another scope and another base from Vortex, given what I've seen with these.

I'm not a big fan of that BDC 800 reticle either.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 that I think is a pretty versatile scope. It's second focal plane which means the reticle does not change in relation to the magnification the scope is on. For hunting you can dial down the magnification and still have a precise, visible reticle to use. The illumination could be helpful in low light. For distance work it has exposed target turrets, zero stop and glass that is better than the Nikon you're looking at. A solid feature set for the price. Plus there's the Vortex lifetime warranty. The only downside is there is no parallax adjustment, so it's really better suited for 50 to 100 yards and farther.

It appears Vortex might be phasing these out since they have new (heavier, more expensive) Gen II versions on the market. Optics Planet is offering 10% off right now with the code NEWYEAR http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...iflescope.html
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Ten Ring
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

No the m308 base is a one pice machined mount with integrual rings. Rings only have one screw on each side the base has three screws on the Picatinay rail. I have the m223 scope and mount on my bill baffled 556
        I do like Vortex's stuff I have a few of their red dot

Comment

• Ten Ring
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

And how do 50mm objectives look and work on AR platforms

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

I have a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x 40mm that will most likely go on my 6.5G build.
            Its got 50 MOA max ups but, I am not sure what base I would put on it.....
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Ten Ring
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

So you all seam to like vortex over Nikon hu

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Every scope that i currently own is a nikon. The last one i purchased was on black Friday and i will never buy another. It seems every one i buy is lower in quality then the previous. The last one i bought was sent back immediately and instead of repairing they replaced because it was so bad. No clue how it even passed qc.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
                  So you all seam to like vortex over Nikon hu
                  No, but Vortex does have a big following on this forum. Probably because it was identified early as being good value for money by influential posters and momentum has done the rest. Their range of prices is also commensurate with the average cost of an AR15. The adage that shooters look to spend as much on the scope as they do on the rifle fits. While the head office of Vortex is in Wisconsin the scopes are made offshore. Razor's are made in Japan. Vipers and Diamondback's in the Philippines and the cheapest line, Crossfire is made in China. Examples of top-end scopes are Schmitt & Bender, March, Nightforce and US Optics. The top lines of Leupold, Vortex, Steiner and Bushnell are getting up there as well.

My advice on the matter is that you get what you pay for in scopes and that while the gun (especially the barrel) eventually wears out a scope never wears out from looking through it. If the turrets wear out or moisture gets into the scope then you've purchased a dud. A scope should not be an after-thought to the gun. Your scope should last a lifetime and so justifies a little extra thought and money. Repeatability/tracking in a scope is a key criterion of accuracy. This is the ability of the scopes' movable aiming mechanism to withstand recoil and leave the crosshairs in exactly the same spot as the previous shot. Repeatability is not something that is often discussed among all the other specs and prices. Nor is it revealed on any scope manufacturer specs. The standard 'Box Test' is a test of repeatability/tracking. Having a good warranty helps if you discover the scope is not as repeatable as you expect (Vortex does have a good warranty).

A gun is only as good as the weakest link in the system so if you're going to buy best quality barrels, best quality triggers and ammo etc, don't put a cheapo scope on the top.
                  Last edited by Klem; 01-02-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Ten Ring
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

Burris would be my third choice. I have had and have about every scope on the market at one time or an other and all companies seam to run the gambit from cheep crap too top end with the exception of may be shapred, Zeus,swarovski
                    I broke a Nikon in 7 rounds on my 460 SW mag and did the same to a Burris twice both at over 100 rounds. Leupold is the only scope I have never broke I own 4 of them one Burris, one Nikon, a Millett on my 300 win mag with has been warranty once in 15 years, also have a number of Simons,Tascos, and Bushnells

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

With respect, it does not sound like you have...'had every scope on the market'. Those you mention owning are all brands at the bottom end of popular reputation, except for Leupold (although Leupold does sell some entry-level scopes).

As for breaking all your scopes except Leupold, how does that happen?

Comment

• Ten Ring
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

Recoil shardered the glass in one and the Nikon would not hold adjustmen

Comment

• Ten Ring
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

The ones I broke were on my 14inc encore pistol in 460 s&w

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

I recommend Nightforce - they are built like a tank.

'Buy once, cry once'. Or in your case, no more crying.

Comment

• Ten Ring
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2016

Yes I looked at them , but they are a bit out of my price range. The Vortex black Diamond 4-14 x42 look like the way I am going it the Burris one pice mount

Comment

Working...
                              X