X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARLegolover
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

New myself so can't offer input (looking for info myself) but allow me to simply say "I bet your AR has never Assulted any one/thing" !
    I will share any/all info I gather with you.
    Welcome Brother !

Comment

• calvarez
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

I finally got to shoot yesterday. After the universe tried to bone me through work issues, it took one last swipe at me. On the way to the range, a tire developed an extreme leak quickly while on the highway. Went from 28 PSI to 10 in about a mile. So I add some air with the onboard compressor (Jeep), go a mile, and it's really low now (6psi). Try to add air, but now it's leaking as fast as the compressor can add it. Go to put on the spare...realize my spline lug socket is missing. A friend used it while we were working on both Jeeps, and put it back in my toolbox not realizing it goes in the Jeep. So now I have no way to change the tire. Did I mention it's a billion degrees out (Phoenix summer afternoon) and I'm on hot black pavement? So I remembered I have a plug kit, and get one ready. First time I've used it. Get under the Jeep (remember that hot black pavement?) and plug it. Better, but still leaking. I shove in a second. Holding. Air up and head to the tire shop 1.4 miles away. They tell me it will take two hours. Call a Lyft to take me to the gun shop as I needed targets and other stuff before the range anyway. Guy calls me and cancels the ride because I'm outside of the area he "likes" to go. WTF?? Seriously, someone doesn't want me to have any range time. So I get an Uber, get to the gun shop, get my stuff, return to the tire store, get my Jeep, and hit the range.

BOOOOOM. Thunder. Storm. Monsoons. The range has a 10-20-some MPH wind blowing across it. People are chasing target stands.

Son of a b...

I say screw it and pay to go in. Woman looks at me like I'm retarded. "You've heard we have weather coming in right?" As the door opens and a bunch of trash blows in. Yup.

So I got 100 rounds through it. The rifle works flawlessly. Patterning and accuracy were impossible to really get. I put a target at 100, got four very close holes and one flier. Then the group opened up. Wind? Break-in time? Crappy Wolf ammo? Dunno. Then it tightened up and was getting better. I declared that I was beat up from the day and went home to clean it and I'll do another run for accuracy later. But I can say that it all worked fine, the recoil is pretty low, and return to target is quite good. Could be better, but it's great as it is. As long as there isn't a major accuracy problem, I'm happy with the purchase.

Comment

• Troggie
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

Will be heading out to Rio Salado to finally break in my 6.5 Grendel this weekend.. though I may go to the indoor range sometime this week as well. Just out of curiosity where are you grabbing Ammo at? I have only found it at one place in Mesa.. everyone else requires it to be special ordered and takes about a week to get. Looking to start reloading if that keeps up.

Comment

• Troutguide
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Buy 6.5 Grendel Ammo at SGAmmo. We offer high quality and affordable ammo that is ready to fire right when you get it. Buy bulk ammunition at discount prices today!

Best prices and super quick shipping.
          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• calvarez
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Troggie View Post
            Just out of curiosity where are you grabbing Ammo at? I have only found it at one place in Mesa.. everyone else requires it to be special ordered and takes about a week to get. Looking to start reloading if that keeps up.
            It never occurred to me to look for it locally. I got the Wolf plinking ammo from Sportsman's Guide at 24 cents shipped. Cheapest I could find, delivered fast. I don't actually recall where I got the high-end ammo (Hornady and something else). I just looked it up on gunbot.net and found the best price.

Also you're on the opposite end of the valley from me, but I'm always open to a shooting day somewhere and swap guns around to get more experience. And if you'd like to shoot a .50.... I've been looking at putting together a shoot day up in the mountains past Lake Pleasant, on the Jeep trail to Crown King. Lots of open shooting areas, could be a good fall camp-out. Shoot, drink, sleep (in that order of course), shoot again.

Oh yeah, I've heard Rio Salado lets you shoot .50 BMG, where none of the others do. So I might do a day there anyway.

Comment

• calvarez
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

I should have mentioned, it's relatively heavy-feeling. I'm at 9.4 pounds total.

Lower: 2.4
              Scope: .9
              Mount: .42
              Complete upper: 8.1

Now I need to decide on a good hunting sling. I need to be able to have my hands free on some of the terrain I will encounter.

Comment

Working...
              X