• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Retired in New Mexico

Hello Everyone
    Ex-Navy Gun Nut, now retired (small VA pension) and have time for shooting, reloading and gunsmithing.

Currently shoot a bunch of target .22s: three 10/22s, a 77/22, 22/45 and a Win 490 I bought in 1980.

Only hunted a couple of times in my life but now want to build my first AR in 6.5 to shoot some feral hogs in Texas.
    Edit: And want to get into some longer range target shooting too.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 10-26-2017, 06:58 PM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Welcome to the Horde, Randy.

What part of NM are you in?
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      Welcome to the Horde, Randy.

What part of NM are you in?
      Thanks for the welcome! Albuquerque, I moved here from Ohio 3 years ago.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Randy99CL and thank you for your service. I shoot quite a bit of 22 rimfire plus 17 HMR but I really like my AR-15’s. The 6.5 Grendel can be very addictive whether AR-15 or bolt gun. If the truth were known I’d bet a high percentage on this forum have more than one 6.5 Grendel.

Many forum members are active shooters and collectors with multiple pistols, rifles and shotguns. Sounds like you’ll fit right in!

Comment

• Randy99CL
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

I like the forum so far! Lots of great info!

When I was disabled and couldn't work anymore I had to sell off most of my collection and it made sense to keep the few guns that I actually shot the most. Since I didn't hunt and they were costly to shoot the centerfires went first.
          I discovered that I liked shooting rimfire as much as CF anyway. Accuracy is just as important (and as hard to get) but you're only shooting between 25 and 200+ yards.
          And some really good ammo, CCI Standard Velocity, is only 7 cents each at WalMart. Just for full disclosure; target ammo can get really expensive but I don't compete so CCI SV is amazingly good.
          I bought a range membership and can shoot a lot for only 7c a round.

My budget is limited so it's great that I can build an AR in sections and spread out the cost. First is about $350 for an upper, then next month a lower, a few mags and some ammo.

Soon I plan to get into reloading (used to do it 20+ years ago) and want to develop a varmint load, a pig load and eventually a longer-distance load with some of those magic 123-130g 6.5 bullets.

Comment

• Randy99CL
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
            When I was disabled and couldn't work anymore I had to sell off most of my collection and it made sense to keep the few guns that I actually shot the most.
            Three of my Rugers:

all three-comp.jpg

The 10/22 LVT (bottom one) now sports a 8.5-25x 44mm.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Randy99CL - Welcome to the Clan and thank you for your service. Looks like you are well on the way to being one of the "bunch".
              There is certainly no shortage of hogs here in Texas to pick from. Please feel free to make your contributions to reducing their population. While the 5.56 is the "new .22" for plinking, the Grendel is the answer to just about everything else. And it plinks real well, too. Soon you will discover that, while an 18 or 20 inch'er is great, it soon looks lonely. Then the strangest things start happening. You leave a couple of 'em alone for a few weeks and then there is another one, perhaps a 16" or a 10.5 inch. And you swear that you didn't know that they could propagate like that. But, just remember that they don't eat much and you don't have to clean up after 'em and they are great to take for a walk early in the mornings or late in the evening. Enjoy!

Comment

• davidj
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Hi Randy,
                I am in NW Albuquerque. We have a couple of great clubs in the area. Lots of opportunities to shoot long range.
                Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                  Hi Randy,
                  I am in NW Albuquerque. We have a couple of great clubs in the area. Lots of opportunities to shoot long range.
                  Wow, Hi David

My address is NE but I'm pretty close to Central.
                  I've never made it out to the City Range (is that what they call it?) yet, it's about a half hour from me. I got a veteran's membership at Calipers and shoot my .22s there.
                  Eventually I do want to check out all the ranges in the area.

Comment

• GaCop
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2017

Welcome aboard! New Mexico used to be my stomping grounds back in the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                    X