• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin.
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Oklahoma Guy, checking in

Hello all, just got a 6.5 Grendel on trade. Pretty sure it's not a high quality setup, but I am anxious to see what it can do. Plan to use the search function a lot, it's a 16 inch barrel, with carbine gas, so I know that's not optimal, but hopefully it will do until I can find something better or upgrade it with an adjustable gas block or something.

I was looking for a bolt action mag fed .308 when I stumbled onto this Grendel thing. After a bit of study I think I am in love... lol. I wanted an all purpose somewhat lightweight hunting / all purpose mid range gun. Both for hunting, plinking at longer ranges and for some competition use. I do a Run N Gun here in Oklahoma at least once a year, and having cheap wolf ammo for some of that really increased the appeal of this gun. I was already a believer in the 6.5, as my main hunting rifle is a custom built Rem 700 in 6.5 Sherman, so this seems like the perfect little brother to that rifle.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
  • Troutguide
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Welcome and your thoughts are on the right track. Its a great cartridge, and there are not many junk Grendels out there so you may be surprised by your trade. Where about in Oklahoma? I was born in Muskogee and raised in Cherokee county, my parents still live there and I hunt it every year.
    "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Kevin.
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
      Welcome and your thoughts are on the right track. Its a great cartridge, and there are not many junk Grendels out there so you may be surprised by your trade. Where about in Oklahoma? I was born in Muskogee and raised in Cherokee county, my parents still live there and I hunt it every year.
      Live in the Tulsa area, born and raised in Tecumseh, lots of family still in that area.

I do eat at Runts in Muskogee just as often as I can though! Lots of good friends down there.

Comment

• Troutguide
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Lots of friends and family around Tulsa, its a nice place to live and easy access to the outdoors, better than down here in DFW. I drive to the border to hunt bc there is so little public land here. I need better friends with land and it wouldn't be so bad.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to forum Kevin! I’ve got a 16” Carbine gas 6.5 Grendel and mine is accurate even though it doesn’t have a free floated barrel. My barrel is the heavy profile with fixed front sight. I bought this upper to match my duty rifle. The only issue with my carbine gas is I’ll get an occassional short stroke with CFE 223 powder. The charge works 100% in my 16” midlength and 20” rifle length gas system 6.5 Grendel.

I could probably up the charge of CFE223 but it is my accuracy load for my 20” 6.5 Grendel. I generally just shoot lighter bullets with faster powders or different powder with 123 grain bullets in my 16” carbine gas Grendel.

There is a very good Google search engine for this forum. I have a link saved in my favorites and use it a lot.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Kevin, welcome to the Clan, from the Great Nation of Texas! have a lot of in-laws between you and the Kansas line. There is some pretty country up that way with good hunting. Haven't in many years but hope to do so again. Your upper may need a little tweaking but it is a good foundation. When the last of the bugs are out, you will have a lot of fun. We are all here to help, so don't be reluctant to ask questions.

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Kevin., welcome to the forum. I agree with Troutguide, most all Grendels are better than 5.56. You will have a hard time finding an animal in Oklahoma that will be out of range.

I am still trying to figure out how Troutguide slipped by me into Texas.

Comment

• Troutguide
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Texas I spent a good bit of time in Arkansas before I moved down. Guess they let Arkies in easier than Okies.

Comment

• sundog
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2018

Another Okie checking in. Assembled a 22" Brownell's (Saturn) barreled AR recently, and did some break in a scope adjustment (Nikon P-300) with Hdy 123 SST, new Starline cases, CCI #41 primers, and AR Comp. I am relatively impressed from the git-go. When I get a little more range time I'll shoot a few groups and continue barrel break in. I am between Tulsa and Muskogee.

btw, the Nikon ballistic app is pretty handy.

Looking forward to sharing information with "all y'all" (that's Okie for "everyone").

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum sundog!

Comment

• Texas
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by troutguide View Post
                      texas i spent a good bit of time in arkansas before i moved down. Guess they let arkies in easier than okies.
                      well, if arkies put on shoes, that is like full camo.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2017

Welcome to the forum, Kevin and sundog, from Nevada.

Comment

Working...
                        X