• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrayBeard
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

Greeting from VA

New to all things Grendel.

My Howa Chassis rifle just arrived and I picked up a shipment of American Gunner from SW yesterday. Now all I need to get is a scope so I can break it in!!!

I'm still undecided on the scope. I'll be using it for hunting both deer and coyote. Here in Southwestern VA all the deer I've taken have been within 125 yards with my Marlin 336XLR 30-30 using Hornady 160 gr FTX LEVERevolution ammo. I'm new to coyote hunting but have been seeing them on a friends farm along the edges of the pastures mostly 200-300 yards away. I've been looking at the Primary Arms 1-8 and 4-14. May get both the 1-8 for deer and the 4-14 for coyote. Input would be appreciated.

FYI, the Howa chassis' weight is 7lb 14oz, not the 7lb they have in the catalog!!!

Howa Chassis 6.5 copy.jpg
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum GrayBeard! Nice looking Howa, is that the Howa Factory stock?

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Welcome from one gray (Grayfox) to another!!! I'm in Northern VA...
      These Howa's are shooters, I put mine into a Boyds stock and like it a lot.
      I have a Nikon Buckmaster's (4.5-14) older style, on it...

90 gr Federal AE TNT's shoot <1" from my howa HB...

65HowaHB-2-031418.jpg
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• GrayBeard
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2018

It's the new mini action chassis system from Legacy Sports. The chassis is made for them by Accurate Mag. The chassis is well made and has a good fit & finish.

Comment

• GrayBeard
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2018

Grayfox,

I lived in NOVA for 30 years but escaped after retiring from federal service. Now we live on Smith Mountain Lake enjoying life away from the hustle and bustle up there.

Comment

• BCHunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

Depending on the type of hunting your doing either, will work for you. If your spot and stalking coyote the extra magnification is nice , but you should be able to set up and call them closer.
            Get the one for which scenario you will see most often.
            The problem with 2 scopes is the extra one usually finds a new home.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for the info GrayBeard, I thought it might be the new LSI Chassis stock but one of the first I’ve seen posted by a forum member. Range reports are always welcome!

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Graybeard, from the Great Nation of Texas! You are off to a great start!

Comment

• IescapedCali
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

Welcome from Nevada, graybeard. That’s a nice lookin rifle! I might need to add a bolt action to my group!

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum GrayBeard from North Texas. If you zero at 225 yards, 0-350 is pretty easy shot with a Grendel

Comment

• 6mmTCU
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2017

Welcome ! From another SW Virginian ! My 22" loves the Sierra 85 grn varmiters 😊

Comment

Working...
                      X