• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vector16
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

Greetings from AZ

Hello all,
    Looking to get and share some good information here. Seems like the 6.5 Grendel is a specialty rifle. Here in the valley of the sun, I only know of 1 other guy that has one. Most shooters I associate with don't even know what its is.

Anyway, I completed this build about 3 weeks ago on the AR platform. I used a 24" Bear Creek SS barrel with a 1:8 twist, Anderson upper and lower and a fixed rifle length stock. I have a thread protector on the muzzle at the moment and am not entirely sure if I am going to put any sort of break or flash hider on.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Vector16! Several forum members from Az maybe they’ll chime in. I have a 20” 6.5 Grendel with a plain barrel and a friend has a 24” AA barrel with plain muzzle. Both are very pleasant to shoot but I’m not a fan of muzzle brakes on light recoiling rifles. I like the A-2 flash hiders but I do have one 6.5 Grendel 16” barrel with a Phantom flash hider.

Let us know how your BCA 6.5 Grendel shoots. Range reports and pictures are always welcome.

Comment

• Vector16
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2018

I just have a p-223 scope on it right now. Just so I can go shoot it a little. I'll be putting on a Vortext SFP MIL 6-24x50 soon so I take it out to 1,000+Yards.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Welcome to the forum from northwest Phoenix. I have lots of scary black rifles. In Grendel: a 20" group buy (Faxon) build and a pistol built around the 12" group buy. Zero, ziltch, nada function/reliability issues! Nikon M-308 on the 20 and a red dot on the pistol. Amazing accurate caliber, everything 5.56 wishes it could be!
        Last edited by AZHTfreak; 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM.
        DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• dpete
          Warrior
          • May 2016

Welcome from WI. 98Z is another Arizona member here.

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Welcome, from Nevada. If by, “specialty rifle”, you mean “replacement for most of my other rifles”, I’d say you’re pretty close. I’m sure more folks from Arizona will chime in, shortly. How does your BCA barrel shoot?

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Welcome from the Republic of Texas. Don't know about rifle types but I have a couple of Modern Sporting Rifles.

Comment

• Vector16
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2018

I've only shot it to be sure it fires and cycles. I need to make some worth a shit rounds for it. I have 250 pieces of new starline brass and just got some more CCI450 today. Used of the last 1K for the BO. The 223 does have a purpose contrary to some comments. I'm good with mine till 800 yards effective dist.
                By that I mean they can rock a 3' - 1/2" AR500 gong. I have yet to take down an Elk with one in the left eye by, at 800 am good inside a 3" group.

This Grendel should be a good mile gun of I load right. Not too heavy (140) and not to light (100). If I han get my hands on 123 SST or ELD-x I'll just need to see what works well with the barrel. I might cryo barrel yet. Have not seen the accuracy yet.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Vector16, from the Great Nation of Texas! You are off to a great start. Pictures and reports are always enjoyed.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Vector16 from North Texas. The Grendel is a specialty rifle in that it works well on all game in Texas, especially pigs. It is so special In fact, my other right GB les live in the safe.

Comment

• Vector16
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2018

grendel2.PNG
                      Here she is.
                      Went out to get bullets today. I was looking for SST 123 gr but only found ELD Match. So I loaded up rounds and did 29.5, 29.8, 31.1, 31.5 of BLC-2. I did 5 of each. I will zero with the Hornady Black that I bought at the store a couple of weeks ago and I will put each load down range to see what has the tighter group @ 100 yards.
                      Does anyone know the MAX load I can do with BLC? The 31.5 seem to be a compacting load so that will probably give me the best results. I still have the entire next empty so if the primers don't flatten I might try to go up to 32.5.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

My Hornady manual list max 30.5 grains BLC-2 but that takes into account the 120 grain GMX bullet which is believed to be why Hornady list lower charges with 120-123 grain bullets. Alexander Arms online data list min 31.5 to max of 31.8 with BLC2 and Sierra 123 grain SMK.

Me personnally I wouldn’t go over 31.8 without a chronograph to track velocity increase in comparison to charge weight change.

Comment

• Vector16
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2018

Thanks for that

Comment

• Vector16
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2018

I also need a load for the same bullet with IMR 4895 and possibly CFE223

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Hodgdon reloading online data list 22.0 grains IMR4895 min with 123 grain SMK and 24.2 grains max load compressed charge.

I load 31.0 grains of CFE223 powder with CCI450 primers in Hornady and Lapus cases with 123 grain SST and A-Max bullets. My Hornady manual list 26.2 min and max of 31.2 CFE 223 with 120-123 grain bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X