• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awp101
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

Another new guy from N TX

I've been a long time fan of the 6.5 and 7mm calibers, especially 6.5x55. I don't have the room to take advantage of the 6.5 Creedmore so when I ran across a deal on a 20" Odin Works Grendel barrel I figured it was time to give it a whirl and disregard my caliber reduction plan... I hope to get in on the bolt group buy in the next week or so.

One of the things that led me here was reading up on the Howa mini-actions and trying to figure out which bolt face depth is being used. I know there's 2 types of bolts for the AR depending on the chamber cut but I haven't seen anything about bolt action Grendels.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Welcome from Smith County If you bought from Odin Works you will find the proper bolt face depth. Just look at which bolts they are selling with their barrels.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by awp101 View Post
      I've been a long time fan of the 6.5 and 7mm calibers, especially 6.5x55. I don't have the room to take advantage of the 6.5 Creedmore so when I ran across a deal on a 20" Odin Works Grendel barrel I figured it was time to give it a whirl and disregard my caliber reduction plan... I hope to get in on the bolt group buy in the next week or so.

One of the things that led me here was reading up on the Howa mini-actions and trying to figure out which bolt face depth is being used. I know there's 2 types of bolts for the AR depending on the chamber cut but I haven't seen anything about bolt action Grendels.
      The bolt face depth for bolt actions isn't talked about because there is no choice; you pick a rifle and the bolt has been headspaced at the factory. I would expect that all available bolt actions use the same bolts for 7.62x39 and Grendel.

It's only a big deal in ARs because the bolt and barrel can be acquired separately and must match.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum awp101!

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum awp101 from North Texas (Fannin County).

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, awp101, from another Texian! Am in central Collin county and am surrounded by other Grendeliers. What part of N. TX are you in and what are your goals?

Comment

• IescapedCali
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

Welcome, from Nevada! The Horde likes pictures, and stories.

Comment

• awp101
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2018

Thanks for the welcome everyone! The barrel was a deal from an individual so no bolt was included but I know it uses the same depth as the group buy bolt.

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                The bolt face depth for bolt actions isn't talked about because there is no choice; you pick a rifle and the bolt has been headspaced at the factory. I would expect that all available bolt actions use the same bolts for 7.62x39 and Grendel.
                The other reason I was wondering is because one of the options I'm considering is a build on a Savage which means sourcing a bolt head.

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                What part of N. TX are you in and what are your goals?
                Central DFW. Goals? To eat better, exercise more and to be a kinder, gentler person. Wait. Wrong forum... No specific goals other than just learning as much as I can and enjoying another build.

Comment

Working...
                X