• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OWL
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

Hello from OWL

Hello from Arizona.

While I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel, I'm not new to 6.5's.

Currently have rifles chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5x284 Norma.

I decided to try the Grendel round.

So to all of you Howa shooters, I need your help getting started.

I've purchased the Mini Howa. Not been to the range yet. Will go through the factory suggested break in etc.

I'm really interested in a "One round" does it all scenario.

Maybe in the 130 grain bullet size ?

Anyone have any information on game performance, accuracy etc out of the mini Howa ?

Rifle intentions are going to be used as lightweight truck gun that does it all from coyotes to small white tail.

130 grn Normas ?
    135 grn Bergers ?
    129 grn Hornady ?

Or should I do something along the lines of a 100 grn Nosler Partition ? or Ballistic tip ?

Any real world information would be greatly appreciated. Any information on game you've taken and cartridge performance.

Owl
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum OWL! You’ll get a lot of opinions on particular loads but if I were in your situation I’d start with 123 grain A-Max or ELD-M, 123 grain SST or 129 grain Nosler ABLR (Accu Bond Long Range), 129 grain SST for projectiles if you reload. Popular powders for 120-130 grain bullets are CFE223, Leverevolution, AR Comp and IMR8208XBR but be careful with 8208 as pressures can quickly spike with heavier bullets.

For factory ammo 123 grain SST is probably the most popular hunting load. For a Target load the Hornady ELD-M or Federal Gold Medal Match which uses 130 grain Berger match bullet.

A Friend of mine has used 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and they have proven effective on game but the 120 grain Nosler BT and 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter don’t have as high of BC as the 123 grain or 129 grain SST.

The 100 grain Nosler Partition is a good bullet but the low BC limits it’s range and the Partitions are not known for more than hunting accuracy due to their design.

All kinds of information in the hunting section.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 04-16-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• IescapedCali
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

Welcome from Nevada, Owl. Lots of Grendels in AZ. About 4 new ones, just this week. You’ve come to the right place for info, as you’ve already seen. The Horde enjoys stories, and pictures of stuff with holes in it.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welco.e to the forum Owl from North Texas

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Welcome owl

considering you already have guns that handle the bigger pills better than Grendel, I would stay in the 123 or less range with the Grendel.

100 grains is plenty for deer. I have been running the 100 Nosler bt for several years. Accurate and deadly.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, owl, from the Great Nation of Texas! You stated a search for that "one round" to do all. And, you have an impressive start. So this begs the question - "all" may need a little more definition: are you meaning 'punches paper well at any range' or ' can kill everything from killer bees to elephants' or ... Or, just because a particular round "can" accomplish a goal doesn't mean it is a good choice. Can you put some boundaries on "all". For the most part, the statements above cover the range of all things Grendel. Among the joys of Grendeling is that most rounds will do most things pretty well. But some will do particular things quite well. Just need to better understand what your core goals are.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by OWL View Post
              Hello from Arizona.

While I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel, I'm not new to 6.5's.

Currently have rifles chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5x284 Norma.

I decided to try the Grendel round.

So to all of you Howa shooters, I need your help getting started.

I've purchased the Mini Howa. Not been to the range yet. Will go through the factory suggested break in etc.

I'm really interested in a "One round" does it all scenario.

Maybe in the 130 grain bullet size ?

Anyone have any information on game performance, accuracy etc out of the mini Howa ?

Rifle intentions are going to be used as lightweight truck gun that does it all from coyotes to small white tail.

130 grn Normas ?
              135 grn Bergers ?
              129 grn Hornady ?

Or should I do something along the lines of a 100 grn Nosler Partition ? or Ballistic tip ?

Any real world information would be greatly appreciated. Any information on game you've taken and cartridge performance.

Owl
              Owl:

Welcome.

Your question is way too vague for anyone to answer.

Let me suggest you look at the Hunting forum because I think you will find your answers there. It is extensive and very informative. I will regularly refer guys to the hunting forum because it is reality.

LR55

Comment

Working...
              X