• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seitz333
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Hello From Virginia

Hi All.

I'm new to the AR platform and just purchased a Diamondback AR in 6.5 Grendel. I have been reloading for over 30 years. I started off with rifle and pistol then moved on to shotgun. I quit shooting/reloading about 10 years ago because of my eyesight. Recently my eye doc suggested I try Scleral lenses which have helped my vision greatly so I wanted to try shooting again. I'm liking the AR platform but coming from the Trapshooting world where gun fit is everything, I have found that with the AR I def need a better stock and a better trigger. My current trigger is about 6lbs. I have already decided to build a new 6.5 Grendel and can't wait for some input from the experts. Mainly going to use the 6.5 Grendel for target shooting.

I live in Blacksburg, VA, I'm literally 10-15min from Alexander Arms where it all started for the Grendel!

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum Chuck! I think the best trigger deal going right now is the LaRue Tactical MBT 2S for $87 and LaRue has good prices on E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags. The MBT is a two stage trigger and comes with two trigger springs, light and heavy. The light spring gives about 2.5 pound take up and 2 pound second stage to release the hammer. I really like two stage triggers but they are numerous good single stage triggers on the market.

There is a bewildering array of butt stocks and hand guards it’s hard to choose especially without trying one first.

I put an ALG Defense hand guard on my 18” 6.5 Grendel and I really like it. They have a version on sale that is a very good price. Worth checking out. I like collapsable butt stocks but also have a rifle with a fixed A2 butt stock.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-01-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Chuck, from the Great Nation of Texas! You are off to a great start. Save some frustration and get some utility drawers so that as you try different options and discover that they are "almost" what you want but not quite, you will have a place to store 'em for later reference / builds. Please keep in mind that the Grendel is not a chambering, it is a mental condition which must be constantly monitored and "scratched" with the addition of newer / different versions. And, whatever you do, don't leave two of them alone in a dark, secluded place for more than a short period of time or you will find that they have multiplied. They are very social creatures and like crowds of their own kind.

Comment

• RMiller
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Hello and welcome.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Chuck. The rifle scope is the great vision equalizer

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard Chuck.

Is your eyesight good enough with correction to get back into reloading?

For triggers, the LaRue MBT-2S is hard to beat, especially on sale now for $87.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• va_connoisseur
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Welcome Seitz333. I had a few Hokies in my family. Welcome to the forum

Comment

• IescapedCali
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

Welcome, from NEVADA. Your wallet is going to hate what your doctor did for you. No Grendel stays solo for long! Enjoy getting back to the range!

Comment

Working...
                X