• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greengo10
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Hello for West Texas

Hello All. I have just completed my first 6.5 Grendel AR, and have built close to a dozen ARs before this one (mainly in 5.56). After reading through some of the treads I feel like I have committed a sin against the cartridge by going with a 20" SS fluted BCA barrel... i know, i know, but the price point was right for me at the time and I wanted to get into the cartridge.
    I am set up to reload, and do so for 5.56, 308, 7mm Rem Mag, and now 6.5 Grendel. My plan is to find a good load that my gun likes and to have fun with the gun after that. I have not started my load workups or testing yet but am planning on starting within the week.
    I've bought a range of bullet weights from 100 grains up to 140 grains, and I currently have RE17, IMR4064, varget, and some shooters world match rifle powders (currently on its way and is supposed to be like AA2520). I have Hornady brass, and will most likely run WSR primers. looking forward to getting lost in the reloading section to find some good info and to see what has worked for others.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Greengo10! Careful as many forum members have multiple 6.5 Grendel rifles. Before long your 20" 6.5 Grendel might have company. Varget is good powder but hard to get enough in the 6.5 Grendel to get decent velocity.

I think Reloader 17 and IMR4064 aren't really suitable for 6.5 Grendel's case capacity. Many powders for the 5.56/223 work great in 6.5 Grendel, H-335, Benchmark, A-2230, TAC, IMR8208XBR, A2520, AR Comp, Levrevolution, CFE223 to name few.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Welcome from NE Texas. These things spawn on their own so you are forewarned.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome from North Texas. You might want to consider the Grendel Reloading manuals offered in this forum.

Comment

• RMiller
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

• Greengo10
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2018

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I've included a picture of my build below.
            Vascar2, Thanks for the warning about them multiplying... I'm already thinking about doing a 12" build now.
            I was able to take it shooting today with some that I loaded last night using 140 Grain Match Monsters from MidsouthShootersSupply.com and 22.2-25.2 grains of Varget, and a C.O.A.L. of 2.255". Unfortunately I don't have a chronograph, so I don't have the velocities for these loads. Only pressure sign was extractor marks, but I think its due to being over-gassed. Target below.
            IMG_9766.jpgIMG_9767 (1).JPG
            Attached Files

Comment

• IescapedCali
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

Welcome, from NEVADA (though I’m in Shanghai at the moment). Looks like the Grendel bug has bit ya just like others said it would. They seem to reproduce in the cabinet rather quickly. Are your goals for this rifle to be a hunting rig for hogs, deer, totes, or groundhogs? Or do you plan to punch paper or maybe ring steel ak 1k+? The Lil Grendel will perform all of those tasks and others. 140gr bullets are a little big, when loaded to magazine length, so you’re limited by case volume. The lighter bullets still have good BC, so you can count on keeping velocity down range with them, and having plenty of energy left to put effective holes through whatever critter you’re aiming at, and make a steel gong sing.

Comment

• Greengo10
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Welcome Gringo10!

I love the 100 Nosler by. Deadly on deer and hogs and hood 1/2 moa out to 600 yds for me.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                  X