Clear All
  • Jimmyrace
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Hello from northern Wisconsin

This is my first build ,I also reload ,looking for some reloading advice
    Palmetto lower
    Bca bolt group - waiting on ups as I type,lol
    And a complete upper from a co worker who never used it,he cant seem to remember the manufacturer
    Last edited by Jimmyrace; 11-12-2018, 09:24 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Jimmyrace!

Since your unsure of the barrel manufacturer just be aware that some barrels have been chambered to use a .125 bolt face depth bolt (Type I) typically used in 7.62x39 AR-15’s. Black Whole Weaponry sold many 264 LBC barrels which used the .125” bolt as did JSE Surplus. A 6.5 Grendel bolt has a .136” bolt face depth (Type II) and a bolt overall length of 2.810”. A .125” bolt will normally measure 2.800” overall length +or- minus manufacturing tolerance on either Type I or Type II/Mk.136 bolts.

Once you get the upper there are forum members who might be able to assist in identifying the barrel if you provide pictures. Many times a hand guard will need to be removed to see any barrel chamber markings. If your friend knows how long ago he purchased the upper that can help determine who manufactured the barrel.

Comment

• Jimmyrace
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

Thxs for the much needed info he said he purchased the complete upper within the last 4 months

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Welcome to the Horde

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jimmyrace View Post
          Thxs for the much needed info he said he purchased the complete upper within the last 4 months

Good deal most of the current uppers on the market have been chambered to use the 6.5 Grendel .136 bolt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Get the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks if you haven't yet. They will answer most of your questions and more when looking at components, dies, primers, and load data, as well as a bunch of information about terminal ballistics, rifle set-up, chamber dimensions, history, and a lot more.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Welcome aboard.

Get the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks if you haven't yet. They will answer most of your questions and more when looking at components, dies, primers, and load data, as well as a bunch of information about terminal ballistics, rifle set-up, chamber dimensions, history, and a lot more.

Money well spent.

Comment

• IescapedCali
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

Welcome to the Horde, from NEVADA. The best reloading advice you could get for the Grendel is to get the Grendel Handbooks. Click the AR15buildbox link in LRRPF52’s sig line, and buy those books. They’ll answer questions you didn’t know you had, as well as give you a mountain of load data for many of the bullets you have available. They’ll keep you from getting yourself into trouble.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum jimmyrace. Ditto on the two Grendel reloading manuals.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Welcome in, you'll enjoy time spent on here. Plenty of help, knowledge- insights. And some new ideas pop up to keep it interesting. We're a kind bunch here.

The Grendel Team, on the Forum.

What part of sconcin you from ? I have a bro that lives in N.Wisc.

I spent first 18 in N. Mn
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 11-29-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X