• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CWOZ
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2018

First post, first thread, first Grendel; boy lots of firsts...Hello from KY

Just received a PSA 12" upper to go on a PSA pistol lower, PSA and their sales are bad for my wallet.

Grendel has intrigued me for awhile and I finally jumped into it. Now I just need Fedex to deliver some bullets!

I really wanted a shorter deer capable gun with more oomph than 5.56, so after reading a bit I thought the 6.5 as a pistol might be a good choice. Deer shots are pretty much inside 75 yards, maybe I might get a hundred, but not likely.
    The Grendel sounds like it will make a very versatile varmint gun for coyotes, ground hogs and other pests, not sure how much accuracy I will get from the PSA upper, I have seen mixed reviews, but it should suffice for close deer shots and I can get an 18" for longer varmint shots.
    We will see how things work out.

Not sure if this is a good intro or not but here it is.

Mark in KY- CWOZ
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Good enuf intro. Welcome to the Horde!

Comment

• CWOZ
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2018

Thank you!

ETA: Fedex just dropped me some Fed Fusion to play with...
      Last edited by CWOZ; 11-13-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Glockpride
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Congrats on your acquisition! I went with the same kit. Searching for
        Optics and waiting for Black Friday deals.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Welcome and congrats. If your shots are under 75 yd A5MOA gun will be plenty . Can't wait to hear your results

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Mark! There are several forum members who have lighter wallets because of PSA, your in good company.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Grendel Handbooks will help you out a lot with answers to most of your questions and more.

12" is plenty for your area and the constraints you list.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GregP42
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

Welcome Mark,

I am in central Ky.

Greg

Comment

• Pootyng
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2018

Comment

• North Florida
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2018

Welcome to our horde

Originally posted by CWOZ View Post
                    Just received a PSA 12" upper to go on a PSA pistol lower, PSA and their sales are bad for my wallet.

Grendel has intrigued me for awhile and I finally jumped into it. Now I just need Fedex to deliver some bullets!

I really wanted a shorter deer capable gun with more oomph than 5.56, so after reading a bit I thought the 6.5 as a pistol might be a good choice. Deer shots are pretty much inside 75 yards, maybe I might get a hundred, but not likely.
                    The Grendel sounds like it will make a very versatile varmint gun for coyotes, ground hogs and other pests, not sure how much accuracy I will get from the PSA upper, I have seen mixed reviews, but it should suffice for close deer shots and I can get an 18" for longer varmint shots.
                    We will see how things work out.

Not sure if this is a good intro or not but here it is.

Mark in KY- CWOZ

Wecome to our horde, Mark. I am a new member as well. I also have problems ignoring the sales at PSA. I am building an upper that will sit atop a PSA lower.

I believe that you will find most members here to be very helpful and welcoming.

Comment

• CWOZ
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2018

Thank you all for the welcome.
                      Preliminary 100 yd results are in....with Fed Fusion and a 2-7X Leupold rimfire scope, I have a 4 MOA deer shooter. (The scope is the only one I had not attached and sighted to a rifle).
                      I would love to tell you it is a 1/2 MOA shooter, but with the set up and ammo I have, it ain't so.

Hornady SST is supposed to be the bomb-diggity, so I will get some and try it out. I also have not tinkered with the adj. gas block. One thing at a time.

I will post more about my range tinkering in the Grendel form.

I did see a nice young 7 point (broken/missing a brow tine) today, standing broadside at 30 yds. He will be an even nicer deer in a couple of years. Beautiful deer, very nice symmetrical rack, just needs time to fill out a bit.

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Welcome, also from KY and also with a 3-4 moa PSA 12 incher that I'm not super pleased with.

Comment

• CWOZ
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2018

This may be a case of "You get what you pay for". I ordered some Hornady SST and ELD from SG. We'll see if the thing likes the better ammo. I will post my results.

Realistically though, it will work for deer at the ranges I am looking at.

Mark

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

Working...
                            X