Clear All
  • OneHitWonder
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

New Grendel owner

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum OneHitWonder! I normally shoot at about 450’ ASL and at that elevation I need a 20 MOA mount. I’ve bought a couple Warne 20 MOA mounts and so far they’ve been real good and not super expensive. The long range shooting gets addictive and you probably can get good results with factory Hornady ELD-M or Federal 130 grain Berger Gold Medal Match ammo.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Welcome to the forum OneHitWonder! I normally shoot at about 450’ ASL and at that elevation I need a 20 MOA mount. I’ve bought a couple Warne 20 MOA mounts and so far they’ve been real good and not super expensive. The long range shooting gets addictive and you probably can get good results with factory Hornady ELD-M or Federal 130 grain Berger Gold Medal Match ammo.
      Would zeroing to near the top of the crosshairs be a solution? Say putting the 100yd zero 5 mils above the cross, would give 5 more mils of hold over for quick turretless acquisition.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The best solution is to check the specifications on your scope for total amount of vertical adjustment. For example if your scope has 70 minutes of angle adjustment you roughly have 35 MOA up and 35 MOA down. Using a 20 MOA mount will give roughly 55 MOA upward elevation and 15 MOA downward movement.

Running the ballistics for your load will give an indication how many MOA/ Mils of adjustment you’ll need for the elevation your shooting. Some scopes like the SWFA Super Sniper 10 fixed power scope have 100 MOA of adjustment and don’t need a canted mount.

Many second focal plane scopes with mil/moa reticles can be used for holding over but only on one specific magnification. First focal plane scopes can be used at any magnification for accurate range hold over.

I just checked and the PA 4-14 mildot scope has 17.5 mils adjustment. Using Federal ballistic Calculator for 130 grain gold medal match at 2300 FPS at sea level you need 13.7 mils of elevation to get to 1000 yards. Your scope would have roughly 8.5 mils of adjustment with a zero cant mount. If you were shooting at 7000 feet it greatly affects ballistics the higher your elevation above sea level. Really just best to consider your individual location and particular load.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-26-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2018

The best solution is to check the specifications on your scope for total amount of vertical adjustment. For example if your scope has 70 minutes of angle adjustment you roughly have 35 MOA up and 35 MOA down. Using a 20 MOA mount will give roughly 55 MOA upward elevation and 15 MOA downward movement.

Running the ballistics for your load will give an indication how many MOA/ Mils of adjustment you’ll need for the elevation your shooting. Some scopes like the SWFA Super Sniper 10 fixed power scope have 100 MOA of adjustment and don’t need a canted mount.

Many second focal plane scopes with mil/moa reticles can be used for holding over but only on one specific magnification. First focal plane scopes can be used at any magnification for accurate range hold over.

I just checked and the PA 4-14 mildot scope has 17.5 mils adjustment. Using Federal ballistic Calculator for 130 grain gold medal match at 2300 FPS at sea level you need 13.7 mils of elevation to get to 1000 yards. Your scope would have roughly 8.5 mils of adjustment with a zero cant mount. If you were shooting at 7000 feet it greatly affects ballistics the higher your elevation above sea level. Really just best to consider your individual location and particular load.
            That helps me immensely. Thx

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Get the Grendel Handbooks and you'll be off to a great start for hand loading and other aspects of the cartridge.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum OneHitWonder. The Grendel reloading manuals are well worth it!

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, 1HW, from the great nation Texas! What part of the world are you in?

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2018

Nevada, where 1000yd ranges are a plenty.

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                    Welcome to the Clan, 1HW, from the great nation Texas! What part of the world are you in?

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2018

Last edited by OneHitWonder; 01-11-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Cool. 1000yd Wolf matches.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          Cool. 1000yd Wolf matches.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

For some reason Alexander Arms barrels do as well or better than other 6.5 Grendel barrels with Wolf Steel cased ammo. Alexander Arms use 1:7.5 twist with short barrels but whether this has any bearing on accuracy with Wolf steel cased bimetal bullets has not been determined to my knowledge.

I think it might be luck of the draw with steel cased ammo accuracy but some high end barrels tend to shoot about any ammo more accurately than cheaper barrels.

I’ve never seen any conclusive proof or test to determine if one type of rifling is better than any other (Button rifled vs cut rifled or polygonal/5R versus Enfield rifled, fast twist 1:7.5 vs 1:8 vs 1:9).

With the variations in production each barrel tend to be unique.

I’ve considered trying to test my various barrels with steel cased ammo but other than letting me know how each barrel performs I doubt any conclusions could be drawn as the sample size is to small.

Comment

• OneHitWonder
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2018

Thanks for the good info.

For some reason Alexander Arms barrels do as well or better than other 6.5 Grendel barrels with Wolf Steel cased ammo. Alexander Arms use 1:7.5 twist with short barrels but whether this has any bearing on accuracy with Wolf steel cased bimetal bullets has not been determined to my knowledge.

I think it might be luck of the draw with steel cased ammo accuracy but some high end barrels tend to shoot about any ammo more accurately than cheaper barrels.

I’ve never seen any conclusive proof or test to determine if one type of rifling is better than any other (Button rifled vs cut rifled or polygonal/5R versus Enfield rifled, fast twist 1:7.5 vs 1:8 vs 1:9).

With the variations in production each barrel tend to be unique.

I’ve considered trying to test my various barrels with steel cased ammo but other than letting me know how each barrel performs I doubt any conclusions could be drawn as the sample size is to small.

Comment

Working...
                              X