• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Droopyfur
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2018

Hello. Another Texan..LOL

Have my first Question and not sure where to post it so will do it in my intro.
    My Grendel is a 16" Odin Works stainless with a tuning fork on the end,
    attached to a DPMS high-rise slick side upper with FF guard. ventilated by me.
    Lower is High Standard (I think)with NM 2 stage.
    Been killing hogs with it for a while after a falling out with my 223 for same purpose.
    Anyway, last evening I emptied my CPD 15 round mag and noticed a problem.
    I recently started using Sierra 120 pro hunters, witch work really well so far.
    The problem is the last 7 or so rounds in the mag were flat nosed deformed like a Pug dog.
    I'd never emptied the mag before so never noticed the deformation caused by repeated recoil.
    I just refill the mag as needed and continue on.
    I thought the mags had a built in ridge to keep this from happening, but I guess not.
    Question being, is there a mag out there that does??
    Been using tipped and hpbt's till now and don't want to go back.. HELP!!
    Went with the Grendel after a lot of research and am glad I have, Now I need a second one.
    The deciding factor for me was that I had two 8 lb bottles of powder in stock. One 2520 and one Tac.
    They may not be the best powders but they're doing just fine. The hogs cant tell the difference.
    Great informative sight here.. KUDOS to the Administration for a Job being well done!!
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum.
    Why not just unload your mags and rotate the rounds back to the top?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Droopyfur!

That is a common problem with Soft Points in about any centerfire semi auto I’ve used. I’m sure the blunted nose could affect the BC after a few hundred yards but no better than I shoot I don’t know if I could see the difference on a paper target at 100 yards. I could not tell any degradation in accuracy with my 5.56/223 duty ammo which was 55 grain PSP ammo.

I think the best solution is to rotate the ammo like Texas mentioned and not load SP bullets any longer COAL than necessary.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Things bounce around a lot under recoil and wave propagation throughout all components of the rifle.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X