• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rmadfire1
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2019

New to the Forum, from SC

Just sayin hello to everyone, currently building my first Grendel.
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, Rmadfire1, from the great nation of Texas! Tell us about your build and your goals.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Rmadfire1! Pictures and range reports are always welcome.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• Rmadfire1
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2019

Thanks for the welcome guys,
          My plan is to make a hunter's Grendel. I want something I can comfortably take deer and Hog hunting here in SC, and once I move back home I can use it as my primary predator gun. Here's my plan.
          Been collecting parts and pieces when my budget allows. Started this build with an
          Aero receiver set
          Aero mil spec H2 buffer, buffer tube, and spring
          Aero 15" ATLAS S2 free float hand guard
          CMMG lower parts kit
          LaRue MBT trigger
          Ballistics Advantage 18" fluted barrel
          Odin works BCG and bolt
          Rifle length gas tube
          Superlative adjustable gas block
          BCM charging handle
          Alexander arms E-Landers mags
          Magpul SL grip
          Finally got the rest of my parts to finish it up today other than my stock and flash hider...which I'm still up in the air about. I would really like the new Magpul UBR gen2 but not sure if I'll like it or if it's worth the little extra weight and money. The flash hider..actually thinking of just getting tread protector as I don't see much of a need for a flash hider or muzzle brake...any opinions here?
          Thanks DJ
          Last edited by Rmadfire1; 02-07-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Sounds like a good build. I have no experience with the Magpul UBR stock but I do like Magpul stuff. I have a 20” 6.5 Grendel with plain recessed target crown and it makes for a shorter package. I personally don’t like the blast and noise from muzzle brakes but have several AR-15’s with A-2 Flash Hiders.

If your hunting in low light the flash hider might not be a bad thing especially if you ever plan on using infared night vision.

Really boils down to personal choice on stock and muzzle device.

Comment

• Bruizer
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2017

Welcome, I'm a fellow Carolinian, over in Charleston. I started out with an 18" for hunting as well, have since built a 16" and 12" that are even handier in the stand.

Comment

• Gusmeister
                Warrior
                • May 2017

Welcome R,

Looks like you have a fun project ahead of you. Plus you live in a hunters paradise.

When I built my Grendel (20") there was no flash hider. It shot fine. Eventually I put on a flash hider as it is does tend to keep the barrel down for quicker repeat shots (at least on a bench). Was never interested in a muzzle brake. So my 2 cents is to finish your build without anything more than a muzzle cap. If you are not happy you can go to a flash hider for just a few bucks. Then if you are not happy you can go to the profoundly louder muzzle brake. Please update us on your progress.

Comment

Working...
                X