• Show
Clear All
  • gold51
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

SW Florida Grendel convert

Well, as the Dell guy would say:
    Dude, you're getting a Grendel!
    Tomorrow the UPS guy will deliver my BCA 24" complete upper and all for the insane price of $254. Yipee Kiyay!!
    Next up, I am selling my complete PSA 6.8 SPC 16" upper and 300+ rounds of brass, ASAP.
    I have always wanted a Grendel, but being retired since 2008 (UAW/Chrysler electrician) I just couldn't justify the premium prices that were needed to join the exclusive Grendel club.
    Never in a Million years did I think the prices would get this low-- ICE, IRS,FBI whoever, thank you.
    I'm also breaking down a 300AAC I built and selling the barrel- Why? I just ordered a 16" Grendel barrel from BCA for $62 delivered- The 24" will be my good/target/varmint rifle and 16" will be my Wolf ammo blaster field gun.

Looks like you have a friendly group hanging out here and that's why I am here- my motto in life is - "be nice or be gone".
    Last edited by gold51; 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum gold51, a lot of us older folks hang out here. With a 24” barrel you can reach out there pretty far, even at sea level. Let us know how your BCA shoot, if those don’t pan out for not much more money you can get a quality Group Buy Green Mountain barrel that get very good reviews.

All local, state, and federal laws apply. In the rare event a transaction between private parties should go awry, forum management cannot be responsible in any way, nor can we mediate disputes. Please take full responsibility for your dealings here, or simply decline using this service.

Comment

• gold51
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2019

Getting the lowdown on the good and bad saves a lot of grief- thanks.
      I purchased a 20" 223 wylde barrel from BCA a couple years ago that was as good as my 20" PSA upper. Fingers are crossed!
      45 years ago I built a 223 varmint rifle with a Harry McGowen barrel from St Anne, IL- I had to wait 6 weeks for it to be made and fitted to my action ( was a very busy man)- and a McGowen barrel was known as among the best back then. (and a stock from Herters!)

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Welcome from sw florida as well. Born and raised in fort myers/ cape coral. Heading to babcock today to shoot the grendel.

Comment

• gold51
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2019

Thank you Bigs28,
          I know where that Babcock ranch development is-- I live in the Cape, or as some call it, Cape Coma, due to all the retirees who live here (Trying to talk the wife into moving out of the city). I have called two LGS and they have never carried any 6.5 Grendel- trying the main black rifle store in town later today. Do you know of any store that stocks ammo?
          Looks like I may soon part with my 243 Winchester. I never realized how little advantage a factory 243 load has over a 123 gr Grendel load.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, gold51, from the great nation of Texas! Looks like you have the bug pretty solidly!

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I reload and order my factory ammo online. I rarely go to a store for anything. It's always cheaper online. So unfortunately i don't know of any stores that carry it.

Comment

• gold51
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2019

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                Welcome to the clan, gold51, from the great nation of Texas! Looks like you have the bug pretty solidly!
                Yup, about like a 11 year old kid who waited 5 years for his first Benjamin pellet rifle! (thank you Grandpa)
                I have the Keltec bug too- a PMR30 and then a CMR-30 (pistol in 2017 and rifle last year- prices finally came down) - the nice thing about black rifles, is they all look the same to the Mrs when I pull them out for the range.
                Bigs28, I hope to find one box locally- I am going to the next gun show in a month- I can stock up and maybe sell some stuff, that I suddenly don't need!

Comment

• LTQZ
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2019

gold51, welcome to the clan!! from the chilly state of Wisconsin. I'm hoping to get out and get going with my 20" BCA Grendel. Had to sent the first one back, bad chamber, but this one seems to be ok.
                  enjoy!!
                  Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

You can spend your money however you want but i tend to save about 25% buying online. Last gun show i went to at the lee county fairgrounds had 123g eldm for $27 a box. I about fell over. I can find it for $17 online

Comment

• gold51
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2019

Bigs28,
                      I found a LGS across the bridge in Ft Myers that stocks some for $24/box, enough for a sight in and function check- thanks for the heads up about the gunshow- I guess I will order online, too. I use Academy a lot for 22 magnum- I buy just enough to get free shipping- 3 or 4 boxes and it's sometimes $8.99 box. No deals on Grendel- it looks like I too will be a mail order buyer.
                      Academy wants $21.99 for the Hornady Black 123 eld -

Comment

• Bigs28
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2016

Try ammoseek.com

Theirs something screwy going on with american gunner atm but i hear rumors it will get better. That was my go to factory ammo.

Comment

• gold51
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2019

Bigs- Ammoseek is good-
                          Just out of curiosity I ran the ammoseek page for the Grendel on the Internet wayback machine ( I use that a lot)- I got hits back to 2014- in 2015, it was like $400 for 500 rds Wolf 120gr - the cheapest I saw the Wolf 100gr was in 2017 for $113 for 500rds- i just discovered Nosler is bringing out a new 100 gr bthp for the 6.5- price at Grafs is around $21/100-looks good. I think Nosler will sell loaded amoo with that bullet- Target Sports says the American Gunner Grendel is on backorder- look for it in a couple more weeks-
                          https://web.archive.org/web/20170628.../6.5mm-grendel (2017)
                          Response:Hi Andrew, This Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Grendel Ammo Can features 200 rounds. Thank you for buying ammo online at TargetSportsUSA.com
                          Question:When will this ammo be in stock for online purchase? Lots of guys looking for this ammo at this price point, I'm needing several cases of it myself. - Clinton (02/08/2019)
                          Response:Hi Clinton, so we have this 6.5 ammo on order with Hornady, actually lots and lots of it and lead time is 4-6 weeks. Thank you for buying ammo online at TargetSportsUSA.com
                          Question:Thank you for the reply sir. That's good news to hear. Will your company be stocking the recently released nosler 6.5 grendel ammo as well? Also do you know if yall will ever get the PPU 6.5 grendel ammo back instock? - Clinton (02/10/2019)
                          Response:Hi Clinton, YES we try to carry all the new ammo products from Hornady and other ammo brands as well and as soon as we get the 6.5 Grendel in stock, we will notify you. Thank you for buying ammo at TargetSportsUSA.com
                          Last edited by gold51; 03-09-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• gold51
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2019

I have my new upper in hand- exterior looks to be perfect - no evidence it was used or a scope was mounted-
                            I am using a Rock River lower and a Magpul fixed stock with buttplate storage.- scope will be a Springfield Armory 6x40 I have had new in the box for 20 years - - the reticle is calibrated for a Federal 308 Win 168 gr target load, which appears to be a dead ringer for the 123 gr Grendel load. picture of the old school rangefinding reticle- a made in Japan optic of superb clarity-
                            BG1.jpg
                            Last edited by gold51; 03-09-2019, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• rscottb
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

Punta Gorda, FL here. I find most of my pistol ammo @ Target Sports USA, buy a 1000 and get free shipping. That lasts me most of a year. I do not reload for pistol. I reload for .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor and get most most of the bullets @ Brownells, Midway USA or MidSouth. I have not seen any loaded Grendel ammo on shelves here in SW Florida, but online is cheaper anyway.
                              When you mention Babcock Ranch are you specifically shooting @ the state public Cecil Web range near I75 and Tucker Grade? Or?

Comment

Working...
                              X