• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TXCrow
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

Just another lurking Texan

This forum has been an incredible help over the last year and I figured it was time to speak up. I live on a neglected 1400 acre ranch N/E of Dallas and was sick and tired of getting solid hits at distance only to watch the hogs shrug off the 5.56. The grendel fixed that real quick. Thanks to some greedy local grendel guys..nudge nudge.. I gave up on factory ammo and dove headfirst into reloading. Thanks to this resource I never missed a step and managed to take 30+ pigs and 14 coyotes this winter from 60yds- +/-400yds most being drt. I've been hooked since the first group from my 89$ blem barrel, 1" factory sst works for me.

I'm a Motorcycle tech by day and tinkerer by nature so reloading really peaked my interest. Currently learning to reload on the 6.5 grendel and thanks to cabelas a 12fv 6.5 creedmoor. Current Grendel is a S&W sport2 , no name 20" ss barrel, larue mbt, odin adjustable gas block, Vortex diamondback ffp 4-16x44, the rest being standard milspec. Right now I'm in the middle of working out a Harley side gig to get a 6.8spc barreled AR to start a pistol/truck/how did you hit that at 800y gun to replace my trusty m1carbine( how'd you hit that at 300y). It's a Runner Runner billet set and YHM diamond barrel the rest is generic so I figured it be a good starting point.

Anyways. Thanks for all of the info and hopefully I'll be able to contribute.
    Last edited by TXCrow; 03-31-2019, 05:54 PM.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Welcome to the horde!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum TXCrow!

Comment

• TXCrow
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2019

Thanks Y'all!

Comment

• Chipj4
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2018

Welcome TXCrow. Awfully sweet setup you got there with the 1400 acre ranch. Looks like you would be able to really stretch the legs out on your 6.5. Since I started reloading it's hard to drop money on factory boxes given the prices, local availability and the ability to customize the ammo for your gun. Your right, this is a great resource. There is a lot of accumulated knowledge here from folks that have been at it for a long time.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, from another Texian!

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde.. Keep killing those hogs

Comment

• TXCrow
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

Chipj4
                We've managed to line up an 800yd lane if prone and potentially a 1200yd lane if i can figure out a portable elevated position. maybe 8'. @500yd the grendel makes it boringly easy w/ 8" steel.

just_john
                Looks like you're up my way. Hopefully you've managed to skirt the Allen, Mckinney, Frisco expansion the last few years. Seems like the get 10' closer to Bonham every day.

kmon
                They'll get theirs for sure! Got my first pig with the creedmoor this morning running fence. 95g vmax 43gr varget @3340 around 200yd. Made one hell of a mess, exactly what i was hoping for.

Keep up the good fight Y'all.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

TXCrow - I spend my time at McKinney Academy evangelising the Grendel. If you have an opportunity, please stop by and introduce yourself. Am out today, but back to the shop tomorrow.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the furum TxCrow, I dont know how I missed your post. I have a small farm in Ivanhoe and have become a true believer in the Grendel, especially on pigs.

In case you didn't know, Loanstar Pawn in Bonham stocks Grendel ammo.

Comment

• TXCrow
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

That is some really solid intel Tex! You're right down the road from me, this forum has really made the world seem small. I haven't been in there in years but in a pinch its good to know there is some local. I'm still trying to get a 12" pistol built so my 20" grendel is rocking a spare 1-4x24 unfortunately. sure would be handy with all the spring grazing pigs that have been out lately but the 6.5cm will get the job done in the mean time.

Comment

• coachallen
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2019

Welcome brother from your northern neighbor..

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Update the Game Knock-Down Survey when you get a chance following the format in the Hunting sub-forum.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X