• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lowell Higley
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2019

Lowell Higley

I have four AR platforms in the .223 or the 5.56 barrel. My fifth platform will be with a twenty inch barrel in the 6.5 Grendel. The barrel will not go into battery by 0.0395 inches using a resized cartridge case. I do not have the Go gauge at this time. Brownells does not have a finishing reamer for the Grendel.
    I find it interesting that the AK47 7.62 by 39 is necked down 0.036 to make the Grendel. I think the Grendel is an improvement by the reading I have done on the subject.
    I make my own ammunition. I have a few pounds of IMR 4895 and H4895. I have not found much reloading data on the Grendel that I can use what powder I have. I have seen in writing the question, why is 4895 not used. Something like that. I have had good results using 4895 in the 308 m-14 I built at the National matches.
    About me. If I am correct, it is one of the things I understand you people want to know.
    I am in the fourth month of my 79th year of life. I have been an avid shooter, some of it in competition, a NRA Life member, and a [URL= life member in the States of Nevada,[/URL] , California and Oregon since 1975 Competition Across The Course is hard work. I do not have the strength any more. So I work in my shop.
    I hope that knowledge is what you need.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Welcome too the horde sir.

Comment

• Lowell Higley
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2019

Thank you for the reply ASBLASTER. i an here to learn. Hopefully, this group will help me in doing that.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Lowell Higley!

When sizing 6.5 Grendel brass you normal have to bump the shoulder back .003. A friend of mine ran into issue only neck sizing his brass. Another common problem is setting the bullets to long to where the bullet nose is into the lands. There are barrels that shoot 6.5 Grendel ammunition which have been chambered to use 7.62x39 bolt with a bolt face depth of .125 commonly referred to as Type I bolt. Most current 6.5 Grendel barrels are chambered to use 6.5 Grendel bolts with .136 bolt face depth commonly referred to as Type II. The barrel must be used with the proper bolt for which is was chambered, whether .125 or .136 bolt face depth.

Using a 7.62x39 .125 bolt with a 6.5 Grendel chambered to use .136 can impede chambering because of the bolt face difference.

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Welcome. Alexander Arms published some data with H4895. Hopefully, this works:Alexander Arms grendel_reloading.pdf

Comment

• Djgrendel
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

Welcome sir. Always glad to see another grendel owner
            Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Lowell Higley
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2019

I want to thank you all for the assistance on my attempt to build the Grendel on an AR platform. I learn something new ever time reading the Postings.

I found the Alexander Arms data on reloading with 4895. Thank you. I am retired and must use what I have.

The issue concerning the bolt face depth I have not resolved as yet. The bolt I received was advertised as for the Grendel. From what you all have posted regarding the bolt, my investigation may turn out to be very interesting.

Thank you.

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, LH, from the great nation of Texas! What part of the world are you in and what are your goals? There is a lot of reloading information in the various volumes of the Grendel handbook. If you don;t already have copies, contact BFT and order them. Age wise, I am not far behind you and no longer enjoy wanting to brag about how much recoil I abused myself with. The Grendel is an ideal way to carry on the traditions of enjoykng the scent of burning powder and enhancing the ringing in the ears. And, approach the Grendels with caution, they propogate spontaneously and are known to metastisize from even a single firearm when left in the dark for extended periods of time.

Comment

Working...
                X