• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote Bob
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2019

North Alabama

Hey all, New to the forum, kinda new to the Grendel built it a few months ago using my 5.56 Aero Precision lower. Really like the platform for taking out coyotes which is my main hobby as they DD where they stand Ive shot 2 with it since I began using it. I started with Hornady 95 Vmax over H335 and Benchmark and have kinda got stuck with those powders playing with different combinations. This rifle has a WC 20" 1:8 barrel an Aero Upper and BCG. Along with a Geissele trigger. I took it to the range today for the first time where I could shoot from a bench at more than 50 yards (in my backyard) and found that the accuracy was not so great. About 2+ MOA and it looked like the rounds were key holing. I'm looking for some suggestions here....Maybe changing weights? I like Vmax projectiles always had good luck with them...thx
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

If it's a 8 twist it shouldn't keyhole any bullet.

Who's barrel?

Comment

• Coyote Bob
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2019

Wilson.

Comment

• Coyote Bob
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2019

I agree....it shouldnt.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I would contact Wilson and ask for a return shipping for them too inspect it.

Sounds like something is wrong.

I have shot bullets from 85 grain up too 147 in the 8 twist. If it's keyholing or looking like it's keyholing with a 8 twist, something is wrong with it, is my thinking.

There is a number of things you can do too help try to improve or fix it.

But honestly I would send it back for inspection and replacment and try again.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Coyote Bob!

If the Wilson Combat barrel is threaded and you are using a muzzle device inspect the brake or flash hider. Not unheard of to get a muzzle brake where the exit hole is the wrong diameter. I’ve also personally seen where one exit hole was not completely centered and the bullet strike only left a faint copper smudge but destroyed accuracy. Another problem can be traced to threads not be concentric and square with the bore. With a Wilson barrel I’d suspect a muzzle device or thread protector first.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, CB, from the great nation of Texas! Do you get key-holing when shooting factory ammo?

Comment

• Coyote Bob
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2019

Yea i thought of that too...thx

Comment

• Coyote Bob
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2019

yea thats a good idea. its a Epsilon 65 muzzle device so its not a cheap part. but I will check it thx

Comment

• Coyote Bob
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2019

Hmmm...dunno..havent shot factory ammo...will do that...the thing is at 50 yards in my yard the ting will put 5 in the same hole seriously. its just when it gets some distance it goes to hell...

Comment

• Coyote Bob
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2019

Oh BTW I lied its a Aero upper with a Ballistic Advantage BCG. Aero BCG was out of stock. The head space was fine tho. Im just confused. Heres what I mostly been loading +- a few grains. 95 Vmax New Hornady cases. H335 29.5 oal 2.255 its running 2670 avg. V . like I said its putting them in basically the same hole at 50 and sub MOA at yds. its only when I extend the range to 150+ the groups open up and actually dont group. I talked to my friend he recommends going to a 123 gr. projectile. Its just so darn expensive to keep buying supplies ...lol....

Comment

Working...
                      X