• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • navionflyer
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2019

Newbie from Central NC

Hello from NC. Just got a Bear Creek upper for my AR but I'm not impressed. So far, the best group I've shot at 100 yds is over 4" with 120gn Hornady factory ammo. I know this cartridge is capable of way better.

I have some Hornady ELD Match 120gn bullets loaded with H-335 from min to max charge (Hornady Manual) to try right now. Just need to get out to the range and see how they perform. I have Varget and CFE223 as well as picking up some 8208 XBR this weekend to try as well. Looking forward to seeing if this upper will shoot. If not, I will be picking up a better barrel.

Nav
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum navionflyer! BCA barrels have been hit or miss but stainless steel seem to be better than Nitride CMV recently. If you got a Nitride 6.5 Grendel barrel that doesn’t improve you might see if BCA will let you trade for a SS barrel. Another option is to cut your losses and buy a Group buy barrel.

A Friend has a Navion which is great IMHO.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, nf, from the great nation of Texas! Best of luck with the BCA barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

I recommend to people who want the best accuracy to just start out with a solid barrel cut by someone who knows what they're doing.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• navionflyer
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Welcome to the forum navionflyer! BCA barrels have been hit or miss but stainless steel seem to be better than Nitride CMV recently. If you got a Nitride 6.5 Grendel barrel that doesn’t improve you might see if BCA will let you trade for a SS barrel. Another option is to cut your losses and buy a Group buy barrel.

A Friend has a Navion which is great IMHO.
          Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

It's a stainless barrel (BCA AR-15 Complete Upper, 20” 416R Stainless Steel Heavy Barrel, Straight Flutes, 6.5 Grendel, Rifle Length Gas System, 1:8 Twist w/ 15” MLOK Rail). I just watched a Vaughn Precision build of a 6.5 Grendel AR and he got similar results with Hornady 123gn factory ammo so it may be a shooter. There are plenty of things to check and try. All that to say I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

And I agree, a Navion is a great plane.
          Last edited by navionflyer; 07-02-2019, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Greetings, navionflyer.
              As a Fellow BCA Grendel owner I would endorse LR1995's advise and start with 120 Sierra Match Kings. It's the most consistently accurate bullet that I have tried so far besting the 130 Sierra Game changer, Speer 140 hot core, Hornady 123 eld match, 95 Hornady v-max, 107 Sierra Match King)
              The 90 Speer TNT is a contender as well.

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Welcome Nav!
                I know it is maddening having a gun that won’t perform, hope it’s just the bbl getting settled in.

Do you hunt any bear in NC.......

Chuck

Comment

• navionflyer
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                  X