• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cobra GT
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2020

Researching an 6.5 Grendel Upper

I thought this would be the best place for research. Avid hunter and yes I know shot placement would be fine with the 5.56; however, seeing a pig run off (60lb) with a neck shot, I need more punch. Plus if they happen to be 200yds, I will be more comfortable. From what I have seen the 6.5 Grendel is one of the best for my specs, granted I have a .270 Xbolt and .308 742 Woodsmaster, but I must say I love the AR15 Platform. Wanted one since the 80's, never could bite the bullet and purchase one as I thought it would just collect dust in the safe. My wife got me a DPMS Oracle 5.56 this past Christmas, to my surprise! Now I get it, never knew it was so modular and the ability to customize. Heck, I did not even know AR stood for Armalite. I have a lot to learn.

Also, I stock ammo in my store, therefore, I had to stock 6.5 Grendel! LOL
    Attached Files
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Welcome.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• CJW
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Welcome from Georgia.

Chuck

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Cobra GT!

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, C_GT, from the great nation of Texas! I suspect you'll find some neighbors across these pages. The 5.56 is horribly underpowered for hogs and is simply helping them to learn to avoid humans. In the days when I was retailing firearms, I heard many stories from folks using 5.56 and not understanding what went wrong ( using FMJ only amplified their lack of understanding ). If you haven't already, follow DNS back in the hunting section. He's the wizard with a firewand!

Comment

• hill37
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Welcome The monster keeps growing.

Comment

• Cobra GT
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2020

just_john Yes, there a couple seasoned hog hunters in our lease. All told me after, with 5.56 head or ear shot. It seems the neck has a thick shield and not much vital area. I used Hornady 62gr BTHP; however, it lacks the punch. I think i just knocked it on it's back and when she gathered her wits she stood up and left like a freight train. it was raining hard and when it quit I looked. No blood nor pig. Should have aimed for the ear and/or a followup shot. Have not hunted pigs much, I target deer; however, hog hunting will break up the seat time when the deer are pure nocturnal or locked down. Most of our feeders are fenced to keep the pigs out, but not all.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast

Comment

• Cobra GT
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2020

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                    Welcome from Florida’s Spacecoast
                    Thank you FLshooter. I lived in East Orlando (Wedgefield - AKA Rocket City) for 10 years before moving back to North Florida.

Comment

Working...
                    X