• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • St_Vic
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2020

Hi from New England

Hey all,

Dipped my toe into the grendel world for a long distance hunting round. Went with a BCA upper when everything else was sold out or more than a rifle. Anyone know of outdoor ranges in new england for zeroing this thing and getting some accuracy tests? Will eventually change the upper out or something. Can I just buy a lilja barrel and have a gunsmith make the swap for me and end up with something accurate for 600 yards?

Anyway, total noob here. I have read the forums nightly now for awhile and the info has been a godsend. all the best.

St Vic
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum St-Vic! Your plan is very doable and is really not difficult to swap a barrel on an AR-15. There are several members from the Empire State that can give you info on places to shoot. Did you get a Stainless, Nitride or Chrome Moly Valium steel barrel and what barrel length did you order?

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Comment

• St_Vic
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2020

On the BCA its 16 inches and parkerized. This upper : https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/6-5...lit-rail-upper . Is it cool to drive through a state as long as you end up at a place you're going to do training at like a range?

Comment

• St_Vic
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2020

How does one know if you need to change out the gas block with any given barrel? I sincerely appreciate the advice! Thank you.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• St_Vic
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2020

Oh ok. I see. Sorry I am extremely new to all this. The idea with the barrel swap was I saw a ton of BCA upper posts where people couldn't get sub MOA groups at all and in my basic understanding of what makes a rifle accurate (minus user error) the barrel would account for a good amount of that. Also I think for 600 yards 18-20 inches would probably be my move for an upgrade but like you said I need to shoot this upper first. Has been hard, lockdown and no long distance outdoor ranges. Soon, soon. Thanks again!

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by St_Vic View Post
                How does one know if you need to change out the gas block with any given barrel? I sincerely appreciate the advice! Thank you.
                Look at where the spent cases are landing. If they eject forward of right angles; i.e. 2 O'Clock, then you have more rearward cycling energy than you need.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan,SV, from the great nation of Texas! You say your from New England but that covers a lot of states, specifics? Some BCA barrels / upper assemblies give horrible results some give outstanding ones. Before you put any more money into it, try it and see what your starting place is. If your groups are about 1-1/2" or less, then you might try taking the upper apart and just reassembling it properly ( already a lot of discussions about how to do that - it isn't difficult - just a few simple tools ). If it still isn't acceptable then throw money at it. In the mean time, you've learned a lot.

Comment

• St_Vic
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      Look at where the spent cases are landing. If they eject forward of right angles; i.e. 2 O'Clock, then you have more rearward cycling energy than you need.
                      Thank you! Noted.

Comment

• St_Vic
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2020

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                        Welcome to the clan,SV, from the great nation of Texas! You say your from New England but that covers a lot of states, specifics? Some BCA barrels / upper assemblies give horrible results some give outstanding ones. Before you put any more money into it, try it and see what your starting place is. If your groups are about 1-1/2" or less, then you might try taking the upper apart and just reassembling it properly ( already a lot of discussions about how to do that - it isn't difficult - just a few simple tools ). If it still isn't acceptable then throw money at it. In the mean time, you've learned a lot.

Very true. New England is actually like the size of 5 TX cities so I could say the same to you. Sometimes VT, sometimes CT. Hope to move to NH or ME one day to escape the lunacy.

Comment

• just_john
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2012

I worked for a company in Wuh'stuh', MA for a couple of years. Beautiful country up there, didn't even mind the winters. But watching a surplus duece-and-a-half drive down the frozen Quinsigamond River really messed with my mind. I don't think you find any place that completely escapes the lunacy.

Comment

• St_Vic
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                            I worked for a company in Wuh'stuh', MA for a couple of years. Beautiful country up there, didn't even mind the winters. But watching a surplus duece-and-a-half drive down the frozen Quinsigamond River really messed with my mind. I don't think you find any place that completely escapes the lunacy.
                            haha. Sounds like you got some of the authentic New England experience, friend. I've been through a lot of TX at this point but haven't yet had the chance to try living there for an extended stay. Great place, great folk.

Comment

Working...
                            X