• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMVT710
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

Hello from VT

Hi all,
    new member from Vermont here. I came across this site while researching AR platform calibers suitable for medium/large game. I bought my first AR a while ago (Ruger AR-556) but had decided id build the next one myself. Happened to be at the local gun shop on "Ruger Day" and being so close to the factory in NH the factory reps were there with some one offs and test stuff and I came across a Ruger upper and lower set in burnt bronze that I just couldn't leave there so I brought them home and put them in the safe to be used at some point. I think Ive decided to build them into a 6.5 so here I am trying to sort out just what I want to build. Basically looking to build an all around gun to be used at the range plinking and target shooting, and for hunting which around here is whitetail mostly and not likely more then 100 yards but looking to the future possibly to be used for other game. Not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to cheap out either. thinking 20" barrel but looking for advice on that and anything else I might need to know. thank you in advance!!
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, P0, from the great nation of Texas! You're off to a great start! Take a look at 18" barrels as well. The velocity loss is negligable and the shorter barrel is much more convenient in the woods.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain