• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarmerDave
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

Hi from Iowa!

Hi All!

Joined to glean some knowledge for what will be my first 6.5 Grendel build in the near future. Have built several AR's in 5.56 and looking for something a little different and landed on using the Grendel for this project. Want to keep with a short action instead of stepping up to the AR-10 platform so I can keep using the lowers, etc, that I already have. Mainly looking to reach out and touch something with a little more hammer than the 5.56 at ranges of 200-400+yds. A critter killer for anything from coyote to hogs. Also enjoy spending time poking holes in paper and ringing steel to keep my skills honed.

A little more about me? Farmer from Iowa, grow soybeans, corn, beef cattle, and a few sheep. Been a bolt action dude from the start, but really quickly warming up to the AR platform over the past 5 years or so. REALLY like the versatility, and have been pleasantly surprised at the accuracy from a semi-auto.

Poking around looking for ideas on barrel length, barrel suppliers that have experience in the caliber, and what this round is capable of?

Enough for now, I'll hang up and listen......
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, FD, from the great nation of Texas. You have come to the source of all knowledge Grendel. Barrel length recommendation would be 18". There are several threads relating to assembly methodologies so I won't belabor that. What part of Iowa are you in?

Comment

• FarmerDave
      Bloodstained
      • May 2020

Thanks for the Welcome, jj. I'm considering both the 18 and 20" length, might go 20 just to pick up a few FPS. The wind blows here more than most realize and the less time between barrel and critter the better. Weight isn't that much of a concern, nor is manuverability. I've got a 14.5" barreled Carbine in 5.56 for truck/tractor gun for that purpose.

I'm from the east-central part of the state. Just west of the Quad Cities (Davenport), if you're familiar with the area.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

I am familiar with the area. Made a lot of trips to Ames, DM, and other stops along the way.
        If you don't already have 'em, get vol's 1 &2 of the Grendel handbooks. You can order 'em from BFT, and they have a wealth of info. In one of the vol's is a graph of barrel length vs velocity. You'll find very little diff in 18" or 20" vel's but the extra convenience of the shorter barrel ( when walking ) is note worthy. Keep us posted and do pix when appropriate.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-30-2020, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Best advice I can give on a barrel is don't cheap out and don't buy it if it's made by BCA, and sammi chambered is what you want.

Comment

• FarmerDave
              Bloodstained
              • May 2020

I've learned that over the years. Three places I just write the check....quality barrels, optics, and triggers. Usually in that order. The rest is just for show.

Comment

• FarmerDave
                Bloodstained
                • May 2020

Thanks for the Welcome, VASCAR2!

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the barrels. From what I've read, the three you mention have been at the top of the list. Not as familiar with LaRue, but I'll check them out for sure.

This build will mainly be for mid-distance, I do have farms that have 800+yds of flat space, but I'd rather not annoy the neighbors! The practical use for this build will likely max out at 400yds on targets and the occasional smart coyote.

Comment

• FarmerDave
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                  I am familiar with the area. Made a lot of trips to Ames, DM, and other stops along the way.
                  If you don't already have 'em, get vol's 1 &2 of the Grendel handbooks. You can order 'em from BFT, and they have a wealth of info. In one of the vol's is a graph of barrel length vs velocity. You'll find very little diff in 18" or 20" vel's but the extra convenience of the shorter barrel ( when walking ) is note worthy. Keep us posted and do pix when appropriate.
                  BFT= Admin BluntForceTrauma?

For the record and comparison, my go-fast bullet is a 22-250 out of a Savage 110 that chronos in the 4000 range with handloads, but really likes Hornady 55 grain V-Max @ around 3700fps. Not a practical walking gun, but flip down the bipods and she's a shooter. I'm still wrapping my mind around a heavier slower bullet with better ballistics that doesn't kick like a mule. It's why I'm attracted to the 6.5 to see what I can do with it.

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Comment

• nawagner
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

Welcome from Eastern Iowa!

Comment

• FarmerDave
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2020

Where in E-IA? Cedar county, born and raised, here.

Comment

Working...
                        X