• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westbound
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Howdy from Texas

New to the forum and new to the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. I ordered an unassembled upper kit with a 20" barrel and after much anticipation it finally got here. My dies arrived this afternoon, but I haven't procured any reloading components. Here's hoping there are any reloading components in stock anywhere!

After assembling the upper, I set up a short range here on my land and started breaking in the barrel. Group sizes went from bad to worse. So much so that I dusted off my old single shot .270 and fired a group to make sure it wasn't my shooting. I'm no hand at precision, but the .270 confirmed it wasn't me throwing groups at 8 to 10 MOA. Rifling on the new barrel was damaged about a half inch from the muzzle. So now I'm working with the company I bought it from to get a replacement. Hopefully that doesn't take 3 weeks like it did to get the original upper kit.

Once I get a barrel in hand, I'm hoping to get it broke in then start working up some loads. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions and have already found this forum to be a gold mine. I look forward to meeting everyone and learning more about this interesting little cartridge since it seems to have a cult following.
  • Growler
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Welcome Westbound!

You are in the right place.
    Good natured experience and ribbing is available here in abundance.
    Be warned..rolling/modifying your own upper with a top tier barrel is likely to result in a hopeless addiction.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Welcome to the horde sir.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Westbound! Hopefully you get the problem barrel resolved promptly.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, WB, from another loyal Texian! What part of this great state are you in? There is a whole swarm of us in the "north of Dallas" area.
          How long a range do you have on your place?

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Welcome to the horde from Smith County!

Comment

• Troutguide
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

"I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...