SoCal member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal member

I am putting together a Grendel build or custom build and have come to this forum for information from the actual users of this cartridge. Looking forward to reading thru the forums. One issue for me is with barrel length. I want to keep the barrel under 20". Some have suggested to me that I will not be getting the best bang for my buck with a barrel under 20 with the Grendel and maybe I should be looking at the 6.8 cartridge. I am sure I can sort that out here.

I personally like short light rifles for field use, I have longer barrels but reserve them for the target range. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how you will use the rifle. There would be no reason to go to a 6.8 at any barrel length unless you just want to. My ultralight Grendel which has a 14.5" Satern Barrel + integral flash hider 16" total, is fully capable of making 600 yard shots and make it look easy. I also have 20" and 24" Grendels. Which one I like is depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.
    Bob

Comment

My first Grendel barrel was a 16" that shot great at 100yds that said I just bought an 18" which is what I wanted to begin with and couldn't find at the time I built my Grendel. For me 18 is perfect for a hunter, if I wanted to build a long range shooter(600 plus yds) I'd go 24". Originally, I considered the 6.8 but I went with the Grendel because the 6.5 is just a better all-around bullet.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Hey, Yates, good to have ya here!

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• RangerRick

Welcome! The Grendel is going to be better than the 6.8 at any barrel length, particularly at over 100 yards.

RR

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Hi from another new So Cal member. I'm starting at 16" for hog hunting then going to 24" for paper hunting.

Comment

Welcome another joins the Horde !!!

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Howdy!
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

If velocity is what you're concerned about, I'm getting 24" velocity out of my 16" Grendel with factory loads, that are moly-coated Scenars from Precision Firearms.

I just got back from the range after doing some fine-tuning of my .260 Rem GAP AR10 for a match coming up this weekend, and decided to play with the Grendel some too. I've been doing ladder-testing with the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, and also decided to see what my factory 123gr Lapua Silver Scenars were doing velocity-wise.

If you're looking for a super-accurate gun, you'll be able to exploit the accuracy out of a heavier barrel because it resists shooter input errors much better.

As far as the Grendel and 6.8, out of 16" barrels, using the same weight range of bullets made by the same manufacturer, the trajectories are almost identical out to between 275-350yds, depending on the bullet type. The Grendel retains more energy though, and delivers longer bullets at all those ranges with better penetration potential on game, and does all this starting 150fps slower at the muzzle.

Additionally, you have a much wider selection of target and hunting bullets in .264/6.5mm that can be loaded and fired from the AR15 at AR15 mag lengths, since the Grendel case is shorter. The Grendel covers all the capabilities of the 6.8, even from 16" barrels, but offers additional capabilities in terminal wound penetration, longer-range trajectory, and better wind deflection across all ranges.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Welcome hordesman! Speaking from experience, the grendel loves SOCAL weather. At least San Diego weather

Comment

Working...
                      X