• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KYboy
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

New grendel owner/member from Kentucky

Thanks everyone on this site for all the information. Recently put together a howa 20 inch heavy barreled action. I used a bell and carlson sporter stock, talley lightweight vanguard rings, Oregon gunsmithing bottom metal, and a Zeiss conquest scope. Still breaking in the barrel. Have shot several sub moa groups already. Been busy reading and gathering knowledge from you guys, buying new components to feed this new toy. Got Tac, cfe223, h4895, and 8208 to try. Dies should be here soon. Still searching for some new lapua brass, do have 50 hornady to get started with though. Will be loading for whitetails. So far I'm loving everything about this gun. Can't wait to get more trigger time and see much accuracy i can get from this rig!!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde. Very nice setup you should enjoy and be fun to shoot and work great for whitetails. You have a very good selection of powder for the Grendel. Brass, I have used Hornady, Lapua, Nosler and PPU. Though I have not used their Grendel brass I have used enough Starline brass to say it has al been good quality in several different chamberings (not Lapua or Nosler but dang good)

have fun with it and do not be shy about asking questions we have a Horde of good people on this forum.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• GregP42
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Welcome from Central Ky.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clanm Ky2, from the great nation of Texas! +1 ( kmon ) many of us have learned a lot from this gathering. You obviously have done a lot of homework. Please pass on your successes. You will find that the Grendel is one of the most versatile cartridges.

Comment

• KYboy
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2021

Does anyone have a shortlist of deer capable bullets that are typically accurate? I have read that the hornady sst is a bullet alot favor for the grendel. I have had previous bad experience from this bullet from a 243, with my son behind the gun it lead to bad experience for him and the doe that didn't die as humanely as possible. I would like to avoid that situation and setup for the most ethically competent bullet as possible. If the sst is better at a lower 6.5 grendel velocity, I would be willing to try it again but can't help but have the previous experience in the back of my mind.
              I do know that the most best/accurate bullet for your gun might not be the same for mine. Only looking for a few select bullets to try, that others have had good luck killing deer with.
              What say you horde?

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

The old A-Max have worked well for me, lots report good with the ELD-M.

Speer 120 Gold Dot or Nosler 129 gr Accubond are good and this year I am switch all of mine to the LRAB.

You will get many others as well, Nosler partitions 100 or 125 will work great as they always do but some have trouble getting them to shoot up to their wishes.

Comment

• Pootyng
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2018

Welcome KYboy. Kygunco had federal 120 fusion on their shelf last week but it was over $30. That among several others shoots well from my experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X