• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Banjo
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Hello from New Mexico: reloading questions

Thanks in advance and glad to be here on the forum!

09BC9587-5D88-4968-AB1A-C3F2274E75D6.jpeg
  • Banjo
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Original Grendel (OG)

EFC6F27F-0870-4C5E-B77F-2EB88FD80D32.jpeg

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I would reply to your question by comparing factory ammo. If it is excellent quality ammo, the chances are good that it will work well in a wide variety of guns, but some guns will love it and some will hate it. I hope your new gun is not a hater.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Banjo,

Your current load is hot. Your actual case volume will be slightly different to Quickload's default but it is showing 105% case full at 28.2gn/8208 and 2.250" OAL with that bullet. The pressure is up around 63.4K lbs. It is more than the light action is designed for and while you may be OK it may break the bolt - sooner or later. Hard to say when it will break and also depends on the quality of your parts.

8208 is unforgiving once it gets compressed and 105% is definitely compressed. The pressure curve gets steep real quick.

I don't think 8208 is suitable for the heavier bullets and also not the most efficient for that long barrel. You'd be better off with 4895 - no more than 27gn if you want peace of mind. If you don't mind the idea of replacing parts if they break then you can experiment with hotter.

New gun, different barrel length, different chamber dimensions = new work-up.

How are you determining your muzzle velocity?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• Banjo
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Banjo,

Your current load is hot. Your actual case volume will be slightly different to Quickload's default but it is showing 105% case full at 28.2gn/8208 and 2.250" OAL with that bullet. The pressure is up around 63.4K lbs. It is more than the light action is designed for and while you may be OK it may break the bolt - sooner or later. Hard to say when it will break and also depends on the quality of your parts.

8208 is unforgiving once it gets compressed and 105% is definitely compressed. The pressure curve gets steep real quick.

How are you determining your muzzle velocity?

Comment

• Banjo
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2021

Comment

• Banjo
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2021

Comment

• Old Bob
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2019

Welcome to the forum from another New Mexican. I'm in Albuquerque & do all my shootin' at the Zia R & P club. From the pic of your 24" Grendel, it looks like you might be in northern New Mexico. This site is an education... learned a lot here.
                  I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, B, from your neighbor on the east. Not all over-pressure symptoms become evident prior to critical failure, It isn't worth it - start from scratch. You did well with the long stick, no reason you won't have good luck with the shorter one. But, start slowly.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Banjo,

Something is not right. 28.2/8208 is 105% full and you can shake it around like there's an air pocket? At 103% full is where I start to feel crunching when you seat the bullet. At 105%

Your velocity is also low for the load.

Are you quite comfortable all that info in your earlier post is accurate?

Entering 2551fps into JBM ballistics has a 123SST going subsonic at 1100yards. Having shot F Class for many years I can tell you no-one will be shooting a target as small as a milk jug at 1200 with any confidence. Transonic (1,350fps) is where groups start to blow out and is reached at 800yds with your load. From 800 to 1200 yds is a lot of range for a group to get bigger and bigger and bigger as it goes wobbly. How many rounds did it take to hit that jug? Did any go through on an angle (elongated holes)? Are you at a high altitude?

Comment

• sundowner
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• Banjo
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          Banjo,

Something is not right. 28.2/8208 is 105% full and you can shake it around like there's an air pocket? At 103% full is where I start to feel crunching when you seat the bullet. At 105%

Your velocity is also low for the load.

Are you quite comfortable all that info in your earlier post is accurate?

Entering 2551fps into JBM ballistics has a 123SST going subsonic at 1100yards. Having shot F Class for many years I can tell you no-one will be shooting a target as small as a milk jug at 1200 with any confidence. Transonic (1,350fps) is where groups start to blow out and is reached at 800yds with your load. From 800 to 1200 yds is a lot of range for a group to get bigger and bigger and bigger as it goes wobbly. How many rounds did it take to hit that jug? Did any go through on an angle (elongated holes)? Are you at a high altitude?

Comment

• Banjo
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2021

Thank you.

Comment

• Banjo
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                              Welcome to the forum from another New Mexican. I'm in Albuquerque & do all my shootin' at the Zia R & P club. From the pic of your 24" Grendel, it looks like you might be in northern New Mexico. This site is an education... learned a lot here.

Comment

Working...
                              X