• Show
Clear All
  • puddleglum
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

New from WI

Hello all,

Grendel newbie here, from Wisconsin.

I bought a Grendel upper from Sander's Armory two years ago: 16" stainless tapered Hbar w/ 5R rifling, mid length gas system, keymod hand guard. It currently wears a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33. The few times I have shot it, I have been swapping it onto my 5.56 lower, but I just got all the parts to build a dedicated lower for the Grendel, likely this weekend.

I planned to use it mostly for deer hunting, with an idea of maybe going down south after wild pigs some day, but I haven't had a chance to take it deer hunting since I got it. I hope to take it out hunting this fall. I originally sighted it in at an indoor range, at 25 yards, with a theoretical 200 yard zero. I should have a chance next month to go to a range with 100 yard lanes and, if impacts are the appropriate amount high at 100 yards, I will feel fairly confident about my zero.

I joined the forum because I have found about 10 boxes of Horandy ammo (Custom SST and ELD Black) and that hurt every time I made the payment. I definitely want to learn to reload, so I am going to start getting together the equipment and components, and hope to get some advice from knowledgeable people here. I realize it is a wretched time to look for components, but such is life. I'll just have to be diligent about checking stores, locally and online.

I guess that is good enough for an intro.

Happy shooting,
    -pg
  • Rufjustis
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

Welcome from South Mississippi and good luck on getting set up to reload. I haven't reloaded any Grendel yet as I'm shooting commercial ammo and building up my brass stock.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum puddleglum! Starline lets you back order 6.5 Grendel on their web site at various times. Most forum members report getting brass within a couple of weeks when putting a back order. Midsouth Shooters supply gets 6.5 Grendel brass fairly regular. Primers seem to be the most elusive and expensive component right now.

Still currently no back order but worth checking once in a while.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, pg, from the great nation of Texas! You are off to a good start. Reloading components seem to be making a comeback although it is spotty. There are a number of on-line places that are now showing to have brass and powder. Primers are spotty but starting to show up retail in some of the stores around here ( just north of Dallas ).

Comment

• sundowner
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from NE Wisconsin .

Comment

• Kosh65
            Warrior
            • Jan 2021

Comment

Working...
            X