• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearxspark
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

Hello from NJ

Replacing barrel on my Medesha .223 match rifle. Making the jump to Grendel. Current setup is 26" Bartlein. Can I stay with 26" and go 1 in 8 twist? Should I go with a +1 or + 2 gas length?Plan to shoot 123SMK mostly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I need a new bolt and Mags.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jamie
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-27-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Spearxspark
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2021

No suppressor allowed in Jersey, I will be using a 6" bloop tube though. 26" keeps my front sight where I'm comfortable with it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

First up is 123g eld-m over 27.7g of ar comp Out of the 20 there's are shooting on average 2620fps Out of the 28 I just got a string of 2792-2806fps Next test 130 and 135's in my 20 the 130's average 2580-2600fps im expecting a solid 2800-2850fps out of the 28 inch barrel , this thing is just slighlty slower then my 22"
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-27-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Welcome aboard from a former NJ resident who headed west about 15 years ago. 1:8 will be perfect for 123s in a 26". A +2 gas system would also likely be ideal, but the problem is that no one's done any real testing on what the proper port size should be. And by testing, I don't mean someone on the forum who's had a barrel made for them which may or may not work, I mean a barrel manufacturer whose done R&D and testing to see what actually works best for that length (such as what Proof Research does, especially with 6 ARC). Makes it a bit of a crap shoot unless you are comfortable drilling it larger if there's a problem.

Also take a look at the 123 gr Lapua Scenar. Same BC as the SMK, a heck of a lot easier to find these days and a lot more forgiving. The Grendel chamber's throat is allegedly designed with it in mind. I've shot thousands in Grendel and have even switched over to it in my 6.5 CM PRS gas gun. I didn't even have to bother with a seating depth ladder - shoots better than me at my initial depth which is a lot longer jump than what I do in my 22" JP Grendel barrel.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• Spearxspark
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2021

Thanks for all the help guys, all I have to now is wait a year for a barrel!!! I could get a blank but don't know anyone locally to do the finish work and chambering.

Comment

• just_john
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2012

Welcome ot the clan, Ssk, from the great nation of Texas! Yours is an interesting setup. What are your goals?

Comment

Working...
                X