• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vin
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2022

Newbie to 6.5g but not to AR

New member - first post. Thanks for letting me into the group

I'm a builder & cert armorer but actually shoot very little and know I'll get torn up over that but such is life. Only range within an hour is $1,850/year member-only lol. I prepping for my first non-5.56 build and have chosen 6.5G. My intention is to build a sub-moa weapon that can reach 600+ yards while still at a good velocity to keep a relatively flat trajectory at distance and stretch my danger space. I had started out wanting to get into 6.5C bolt action but I'm a 3+ hour drive to the closest 1,000 yard range (Tidewater VA - closest I can track down is Quantico). So I gave up on that and decided to stay inside what I'm familiar with - AR platform. Once I researched all the available cartridges it was an easy choice (given the ARC is really still boutique/rare ammo).

I don't hunt anymore so have no specific game target in mind. Would be mostly a range gun. After a couple week's research and reading I need your help. I am not a reloader/handloader. I intend to use off-the-shelf ammo which I realize could lead me to an moa weapon instead of a sub-moa weapon. Hoping to end up using Hornady ELD 123grain but will experiment to see what works best.

The barrel I'm settling on but haven't bought yet - Faxon 20" Match Series (wish they had a non-fluted version).

Talk me out of it or talk me into it.

If you have one - what muzzle device/suppressor is working for you?

What upper receiver are you using and would you recommend it. I'm leaning toward a BCM upper as I've read they run a bit small thus requiring a heat fit. As much as I would like to run a Radian or such I don't want to put more into the upper receiver than is needed. I'm a fan of the Aero M4E1 matched sets but understand this build may take something higher up the food chain.

Thanks for the input and roast LOL!

Vin

The preceding is a work of fiction. Names were changed to protect the guilty.
    -------------
    The preceding was a true story. Names were changed to protect the guilty.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

sound like you in the NOVA area, give a little better location ,a nd you may get some input for a range from members

good luck, with most barrel makers its the luck of the draw,
      you have better odds with higher end barrels
      for the price of the barrel your looking at i would look into criterion
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Old Bob
        Warrior
        • Oct 2019

Welcome to the Horde & the forum Vin. You are correct, BCM upper receivers are on the tight side. I have two AR rifles with BCM uppers & both needed the thermal fit trick. I have one Colt upper that, while a little bit snug, didn't need heat to install the barrel. I have another Colt upper that was a real sloppy fit. Had to use .002" thick stainless steel shim on the barrel extension to get a tight fit in that upper. That particular Colt upper is an old one I needed to install it on a lower that has a .310" dia. pivot pin. I have one Anderson upper. A barrel extension would slip into it easily. It didn't need a shim but I did use some 620 Loctite on the extension.

I've had two different 6.5 Grendel barrels, one Odin & one Wilson Combat. The Wilson seems to be a tad more accurate than the Odin which shot right at MOA. The ammo I used initially was Hornady's 123gr AMAX which is no longer made. The 123gr ELD-M is Hornady's AMAX replacement.

All of my ARs have Wilson Combat Q-COMP muzzle brakes. I've used A2 brakes & one made by BCM. They're OK but I like the Wilson. I've never had a suppressor.

Good luck with your Grendel build...
        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-25-2022, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• Vin
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2022

Originally posted by mdram View Post
              sound like you in the NOVA area, give a little better location ,a nd you may get some input for a range from members

I'm in Virginia Beach
              -------------

Comment

• Vin
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2022

Originally posted by mdram View Post

Thanks mdram - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.
                -------------

Comment

• Vin
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2022

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                  Welcome to the Horde & the forum Vin. You are correct, BCM upper receivers are on the tight side. I have two AR rifles with BCM uppers & both needed the thermal fit trick. I have one Colt upper that, while a little bit snug, didn't need heat to install the barrel. I have another Colt upper that was a real sloppy fit. Had to use .002" thick stainless steel shim on the barrel extension to get a tight fit in that upper. That particular Colt upper is an old one I needed to install it on a lower that has a .310" dia. pivot pin. I have one Anderson upper. A barrel extension would slip into it easily. It didn't need a shim but I did use some 620 Loctite on the extension.

I've had two different 6.5 Grendel barrels, one Odin & one Wilson Combat. The Wilson seems to be a tad more accurate than the Odin which shot right at MOA. The ammo I used initially was Hornady's 123gr AMAX which is no longer made. The 123gr ELD-M is Hornady's AMAX replacement.

All of my ARs have Wilson Combat Q-COMP muzzle brakes. I've used A2 brakes & one made by BCM. They're OK but I like the Wilson. I've never had a suppressor.

Good luck with your Grendel build...

Thanks for the info bob - I'll look into the Odin and Wilson gear for sure. I wasn't aware they were in this game.
                  -------------

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, Vin, from the great nation of Texas! To your original statements, like a lot of others here, i have used several BCM uppers. Yes, they are tight. Have only had to go to the extremes of freezing the barrel on two of 'em. The others, a good hot-air gun worked well enough to get 'em started. The results are well worth it. Will say that their "blem" uppers were $49 back then and well worth it. I have seen excellent results with cheap barrels and lousy results from high-dollar barrels. My take is that the interface between the barrel and the upper makes or breaks the accuracy. No such thing as tight enough. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

• Vin
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2022

Hey vascar - you made a good point that I left somewhat ambiguous in my post regarding what my accuracy goals are. I'd like to be sub-moa-ish but don't need to be 1/4 or even necessarily 1/2 moa. If I could keep a 3" circle at 400 yds I'd be satisfied and will be happy as a clam if I can keep in a five-inch circle at 600. Honestly, I'd even likely be happy with moa performance.

Thanks for the scoop on the Faxon. I knew it was lower in the range than Proof or such and liked their specs. But I'm not convinced I will get out of it what I hope to. But, on the flip-side - I am not looking to keep a 2-inch group at 1,000 yds or compete with this weapon either and such do not want to invest $5,000. I'm hoping to keep the weapon under $2,000 (before the suppressor - I have a Sandman S but haven't researched if it's enough for 6.5G). But at the same token I'd like to perch this all on a Radian or ADM lower unless someone here can tell me they get the same performance out of an Aero M4E1 or equivalent. Mostly looking to ADM or Radian as I have a couple LMT (one MARS) already and would like to try one of these others for comparison. But if I'm using a BCM upper my OCD tends to want to match the receivers up too.

But then you add in another great point. Your logic is sound that I'll need a higher-end barrel to help compensate for using factory loads. I hadn't thought of it that way but will going forward.

I'll definitely check out your recommendations, thanks for taking the time to write this up. Good info!
                      -------------

Comment

• Vin
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2022

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                        Welcome to the clan, Vin, from the great nation of Texas! To your original statements, like a lot of others here, i have used several BCM uppers. Yes, they are tight. Have only had to go to the extremes of freezing the barrel on two of 'em. The others, a good hot-air gun worked well enough to get 'em started. The results are well worth it. Will say that their "blem" uppers were $49 back then and well worth it. I have seen excellent results with cheap barrels and lousy results from high-dollar barrels. My take is that the interface between the barrel and the upper makes or breaks the accuracy. No such thing as tight enough. Keep us posted on your progress.
                        Thanks John - I've heard about the smaller diameter of BCM uppers from a few different directions. And I have personal experience reinforcing your beliefs about the imperativeness of that fit. Hopefully I'm moving in the right direction.

Do you have any experience with BCM lowers? I haven't used one but am a bit OCD about matching up my uppers and lowers. I have one 5.56 with a Colt upper on an Aero lower that makes it hard to sleep at night lol.
                        -------------

Comment

• just_john
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2012

Vin, I have focused my finance to pieces above the split. I've used lowers from all over and all price ranges and don't find that it makes any significant difference. But, my last several builds have used BCM uppers and, before they raised the prices I tried to stay with them, usually able to get their blems. To your premise about being OCD, I save that for the uppers, will only use forged ones as they are a lot stronger if/when something goes catastrophically wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X