• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephen Vick
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2022

Ballistics question for surplus optic

Good morning: I am new to this forum but am looking for wisdom on an optic I recently traded for. Its an Elcan M145 with the 240 Bravo reticle with range finding up to 1200 M. I have found some videos of guys who have put them on 5.56 ARs but I have one in a 6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch barrel. I have heard the ballistics are similar with a .308. Has anyone on the forum had any experience and advice they could give on if using the BDC if it would be the same. I know on ARs its different. What would be a good distance to zero it from? Anyway I hope everyone is doing well and as I said I'm new and this is my first post on this forum. I have used THR but after hearing this forum was about the Grendel I thought this was probably the best place to seek wisdom.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...n-about-scopes!

Here is a link to the google custom search.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-26-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, SV, from the great nation of Texas! Tell us a bit about your goals and your builds.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2022

I am an amature at best but have built a few over the years going back to the late 80s. I liked what I read about the Grendel from its history in Iraq and I have an Olympic SGW with a 24 inch SS match barrel in 5.56 an old Navey UDT guy who taught me to build as my first in 1989. It has been a tack driver but I wanted something with some more range for the same platform. Between working all the time as a clinician slash LEO and raising a family I don't get to devote as much time nor money to my hobby but this Optic came up and I couldn't resist. I am looking forward to learning from you fellows all that I can and thanks for having me on this forum.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2022

Thank you and I look forward to garnering some knowledge. I am really very new to the Grendel but I enjoy shooting it when I can.

Comment

• Stephen Vick
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2022

Thank you, sir, for your reply, and I really appreciate the link. I will check it out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2022

Thanks for the Info on the Elcan Did you have many problems with it holding zero in the field? I am not keen on the friction mount but a replacement to the 2 nut version that was issued on the M4 variant is like 500.00 from the company. I will probably try something like 50 yards to get it close I have a pretty good set up on my farm to zero but I can easily go out to 100 but I don't have great vision and I will struggle with the 4 power magnification. I have a new rubber cover on its way as mine is pretty beat up I just dread changing the thing as it fits very snug.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

To add to this, my last time with a 145 was fifteen years ago when we had to use some on the M-4 for a SDM course I was running.

Huge PITA to zero because the elevation and windage knobs were crude at best and indexed about one minute per click. Good enough for issued M-4's and issued ball ammo.

I had the guys get a 25M zero using the 300M stadia to get it close enough on paper then did the real zero at 300 using the 300 Stadia. Come ups between 300 and 500 are really close between the issued Green Tip and issued M-80 Ball so if the guy had a really centered up (relative terms) zero at 300, he could hold a upper torso at 500 -- somewhere.

Anytime you are working with a 3.5X optic using a Xmas Tree reticle shooting ball ammo from service grade weapons, shots past 300 are dodgy.

They worked but honestly, as a civilian, go with something better. Those things are way overpriced for a heavy and bulky low power optic with really crude adjustments.

LR-55

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2022

Thanks for the info. I will take it in consideration when it cools down enough to zero it in.

Comment

Working...
                      X