• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmda
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2022

I am new here

Hello everyone. JM from KY

Have not really looked around much. Planning on buying a 6.5 Grendel upper in the near future.

Mostly for hunting. In Ky most shots are within 150 yards, though a farm I may hunt again has a fire break where up to 400 yard shots are possible.

First of all will a 16 inch barrel be adequate for my needs? (rifle weight is a concern of mine)

Second I've been watching PSA for a "daily deal" on a Grendel upper. Have had a good experience with PSA on my ARs. Opinions from those who have bought one?

Third I've seen Bear Creek Arsenal has uppers for cheap - I'm wary. But for the price are they ok?

I have a Swedish Mauser that shoots 2-2.5 moa - I would like to see sub moa in a grendel. Is this unreasonable?

If you have a minute or two to comment, I'd be most appreciative.
  • peak98
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

IF

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin , I have 3 PSA uppers 2 in PA 10 18" 308 and 20" 6.5 Creedmoor and 1 20" 6.5 Grendel and all shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards and are dead on at 200 .

Comment

• peak98
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

https://www.sixfiveoutfitters.com/product/65g-16/

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-06-2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, jmda, from the great nation of Texas! First, let me warn you, Grendels are extremely prolific. Start with whatever barrel you want, but soon there will be more. They are born in a variety of sizes and colors and configurations and some will be MSR's and some will be bolt guns. I have used several barrels in a variety of lengths from PSA with good success. I have used barrels from BCA with mixed results. They went thru a bad spell for a long time but seem to have gotten their act together. Hard to say. My first was a 24" from a local bottom feeder shop, but the first 3 rounds gave me a 3/8" group at 100yds. I sold it to a guy from Houston who later sent me a pix of a 600 yd kill on a hog.
              There are folks here across these pages that have offered reports of all barrel lengths doing awesome things at incredible ranges. The real key is how you mount the berrel to the upper receiver. A poor assembly with high dollar parts will yeild poor results but surprisingly good results can come from mediocre parts properly assembled. What ever you start with, enjoy the learning process.

Comment

• Pootyng
                Warrior
                • Aug 2018

Comment

• tlen
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2019

BCA is fine. My 24" SS shoots less than 3/4" @ 100 yards. Go for a 20" barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-10-2022, 04:43 PM.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Here are 4 different barrel lengths with 129gr ABLR:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 7stw
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2022

As has been said, welcome to the clan. I'm a boltgun kinda guy, and own a very accurate Howa mini, heavy barrel. Lots of good people here, who are ready and willing to help.
                        All the best.

Comment

• jmda
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2022

Thank you all. I really appreciate the warm welcome, and time spent addressing my questions. Especially the velocity numbers on different lengths, that was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X