• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ion Compass
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2022

New to AR/M4 platform, 6.5G was recommended

Season's greetings everyone!
    Louisiana born and raised sportsman / paramedic checking in.

As the title says, I'm new to the rifle system and enjoying the customizability, weight, and various capabilities of the AR/M4.

Any advice, links, wisdom and hindsight are most welcome, and I look forward to meeting and discussing with everyone here!

I have some Hornady ELD bullets I'd like to custom load into steel bottom cup brass for higher pressure load hunting cartridges. Insight into this would be invaluable to this neophyte.

Feel free to DM or start a fire here. I'll be making a general thread soon with details, pics, and my investments into the system for others to critique and more.

For starters, though..
    SIG SAUER 2022 M400 SDI XSeries 5.56 16" 1:7
    and of course...
    Grendel Hunter upper 2022 6.5 20" 1:8
    Last edited by Ion Compass; 12-14-2022, 01:35 AM. Reason: grammar
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, IC, from your neighbor on the west. If you don't already have a set, pick up vol's 1 and 2 of the Grendel Handbook ( a search across these pages will locate a set ). You will find that the Grendel scratches just about all the itches. Keep us posted.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Ion Compass!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

Where will you get the steel bottom cup brass?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdram
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Ion Compass View Post
            I have some Hornady ELD bullets I'd like to custom load into steel bottom cup brass for higher pressure load hunting cartridges. Insight into this would be invaluable to this neophyte.
            the bolt will still be the weak point. if you want to try higher pressure get a stronger action
            just some targets for printing
            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Ion Compass
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2022

Thank you to everyone for your warm greetings during this cool winter! I'll be sure to get this handbook.

I'm not sure where to get the brass / steel combo, but I live in Sportsmans paradise Louisiana... it won't be hard XD

What does stronger action mean? How would I go about improving this in the modern M400?

I don't understand scratches as itches, but sounds balanced to me lol

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Ion Compass View Post
                Thank you to everyone for your warm greetings during this cool winter! I'll be sure to get this handbook.

I'm not sure where to get the brass / steel combo, but I live in Sportsmans paradise Louisiana... it won't be hard XD

What does stronger action mean? How would I go about improving this in the modern M400?

I don't understand scratches as itches, but sounds balanced to me lol
                bolt action, single shot, ect. something that can take higher pressure
                just some targets for printing
                https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                X